Brew Strong just going through the motions

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:46 pm

Listening to the show for 2/4/13 and had to hit stop on the ipod. After 10 mins of talking up the AHA, Blinchman, etc. John Palmer goes into a discussion of how they use the email address to compile questions for the Q&A shows. Talks about looking through the questions in advance, finding the good ones, etc. Second question in, Jamil starts to read it, obvious that he hasn't ever seen this question before, reads in a incomprehensible manner just running through it, makes some comment about not liking questions that are so lenghty they need numbers, etc.

I had to hit stop.

I have been a listener since the beginning. Jamil had his day. In the early years he was prepared, attentive, and a great source of info. Now he is distracted, busy, and does not have time for the show. BTW I do not blame him, he owns a brewery and is busy.

Suggestion - Justin drop Jamil back to a Sean Sullivan type status. Promote Nathan Smith to Jamil's former position and move on. The half-assed thrown together nature of the the shows over the last year-and-half is not good for business.

mrsoul12
mrsoul12

Re: Brew Strong just going through the motions

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:20 pm

I enjoy the show and I have learned a lot just like the other shows on the network, but the I'm too cool to talk normal kinda irritates me ('aaaaaaaaaa'). That' just Jamil's ego though and I've learned to deal with it.

I also didn't like the go pro series.
NervousDad

Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:35 pm

Wow! Film Lab Rat sure did stir up a fuss. :shock:

Jamil has a more than a full time job at the brewery, plus dealing with us yahoos is probably frustrating. Remember, not everyone started on day one. Rock Candy is a full time metallurgist, so getting these two busy guys together, even online, must be difficult. And as far as I know, neither of them are getting any $$ for doing the show. Add to that the sporadic nature of the recording schedule, it's hard, I'm sure, to get more consistency in the show.

New brewers join the conversation all the time, asking the same questions that have been asked over and over again. So I can imagine it's frustrating to cover the same material all the time.

Maybe the BN could put together a transcribed collection of episodes. Kevin Smith used to do this with his podcast.

Maybe the Brewing Network needs shows from other producers. Get some of your friends together and record a show for broadcast. I'm sure Justin would, after reviewing the shows, be happy to add a new show to the network. Back in the early days, there was a lot of listener generated content.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:44 pm

I gotta agree with the OP. My intro to the BN was listening to every single Brew Strong from the beginning and I got a ton out of it. But I generally don't even bother to download the Brew Strong's anymore, especially if they're Q&A episodes. JZ is just going through the motions at this point. As stated above, it's understandable given how long he's been doing it and what he's got on his plate now. But J needs to get some fresh blood into the mix to liven things up.

Not canceling my donation or anything..just sayin.
Tygo

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:54 pm

Agree. It is time to pass on the baton. Jamil was great for a lot of years. The show just isn't the same anymore.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:59 am

Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:New brewers join the conversation all the time, asking the same questions that have been asked over and over again. So I can imagine it's frustrating to cover the same material all the time.

Maybe the BN could put together a transcribed collection of episodes.

I ask myself why some of these people even bothered to write to BrewStrong when they could have gotten the same or better answer from the forums more quickly without having to listen to that whiny bullshit... or wait months & months hoping it might get picked for a show. I'll admit Palmer's the only reason I've listened to BrewStrong at all & most episodes I'm screaming at my radio for Mr. Ego to STFU so we can actually hear the wonderful information Palmer's spitting out instead of some made up story about being a life guard.

Either way, I haven't heard a question on a Q&A show in a while that couldn't have been taken care of more efficiently here.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:07 am

This post had me thinking about Emeril Lagasse. Years ago I loved his cooking shows and learned so much. After so many shows he started doing "kicked up P and J's or hot dogs". I could not watch anymore.
Sqhead

Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:18 pm

Still true. Still true.

PS - I have no complaints about the Sunday Session

mrsoul12
mrsoul12

Next

Return to Brew Strong