Parti Gyle

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:08 am

Hey guys, I posted this under the Fuller's ESB/London Pride thread that hasn't been active for a few months, as well. I figured I could start a new thread since my question is related more the parti gyle in general. Could kill two bird with one stone:

I'm still a little confused after listening to the show. They say, for parti gyle, that they blend the runnings in different parts for the two different beers. How is this any different from sparging and running off into the kettle that already has an "x" amount of your first runnings? Doesn't the gravity just change at this point since you're diluting the first runnings with second runnings until you hit the gravity you want?

Do you blend ever after the boil?

The reason I ask is because in the show, he said that he takes the first runnings and then boils them for the ESB. He then takes the second runnings and uses them for the London Pride. I thought the runnings were supposed to be blended?

I'm really trying to figure out why exactly the parti gyle is necessary, when they say it is necessary...along with how the blending process works. I get that parti gyle was originally used to create different beers and different gravities.
Primary: Holiday Nut Brown Ale w/ cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and vanilla
Bottled: ESB - "American Revolution" - All British Grains and Hops except dry hopped with centennials from my backyard. I infiltrated all the British ingredients :)
RoKozak

Re: Parti Gyle

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:05 pm

Did you listen to the re-brew show? I think it was something along the lines of 1st and 3rd runnings - ESB, 2nd and 4th runnings - Pride.

I've heard if you take all the first runnings for one beer and the last runnings for the second, the second can lack maltiness, as well as gravity. This way, you still keep a richness of malt by using the 2nd runnings for the small beer.

But it's been a while since I listened.
whoateallthepies

Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:37 pm

whoateallthepies wrote:Did you listen to the re-brew show? I think it was something along the lines of 1st and 3rd runnings - ESB, 2nd and 4th runnings - Pride.

I've heard if you take all the first runnings for one beer and the last runnings for the second, the second can lack maltiness, as well as gravity. This way, you still keep a richness of malt by using the 2nd runnings for the small beer.

But it's been a while since I listened.

They say to blend the first and second runnings, so I'm trying to determine when the blending takes place. BYO's interview with Fuller's director makes it seem like it's after fermentation
http://www.byo.com/component/resource/a ... -of-london

But the podcast make it seem like it could be after the boil that they blend to hit a particular gravity?

Confused about that part...
Primary: Holiday Nut Brown Ale w/ cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and vanilla
Bottled: ESB - "American Revolution" - All British Grains and Hops except dry hopped with centennials from my backyard. I infiltrated all the British ingredients :)
RoKozak

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:23 am

I suppose you could just run off each boil into 2 x fermenters in the ratio you desire.
whoateallthepies

Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:38 pm

I haven't listened in a while but I did a partigyle for ESB/London Pride last year. I did it more based on the interview than what Chad finally did. Lost my hard drive shortly after so I don't have my notes anymore but if I remember correctly it went something like this:

Two batches runoff first half into one kettle second into another
Hopped the same way, blended after boiling
Fuller's Golden Pride - all batch 1, barleywine
Fuller's ESB approx 2/3 batch 1 and 1/3 batch 2
Fulller's London Pride approx 1/3 batch 1 and 2/3 batch 2
Fuller's Chiswick Bitter all batch 2

I measured the gravities of the two batches and figured out the ratio of the two that would give me the right OG
-- Scott

On Tap - Janet's Brown, Easy-Jack/SNPA mash-up
Primary - BCS Saison with rye
Secondary - Cabernet Sauvingon
animaldoc

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?