Firestone DBA recipe

Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:43 am

Hey all, Has anyone brewed the FIrestone DBA recipe from the re-brew on CYBI?

This is the recipe they say to brew, sounds tasty, I love this beer I drank alot of it on my honeymoon and would love to try it out, just wondering how it turns out.

6 gallons end of boil
5% ABV
IBUs - 13 rager
SRM - 13
OG - 1.051
FG- 1.010
Mash - 145 for 30min raise to 155 for 15min
2row - 68%
British pale - 16%
Munich - 7%
C-75 - 6%
C120 - 2%
Chocolate Malt - 0.6%

Magnum - 3 g - 75min
EKG - 18g - 30 min
EKG - 22g - 0 min
Styrian Goldings or Fuggles - 22g - 0min

WLP002 English Ale Yeast
1.25 oz of American Oak (medium Toast) Cubes per 5 gallons
rack beer onto Oak after 24 hours of fermentation, leave for 2 weeks on oak.

Let me know...thanks
Pouring - Infidel Porter, Pallino Wit
Fermenting - Till a rustic Saison
On Deck - Abbey Dubbel, Belgian Golden Strong maybe with brett
LukeD23

Re: Firestone DBA recipe

Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:33 pm

Yes, it's been very close each time I've brewed it(5 times now). It's an amazing beer. My homebrew tasted exactly like the unblended, unfiltered 100% oak barrel fermented DBA they have on tap at the brewery in paso de robles and restaurant in buellton. It is my favorite. From the recipe given, if you want it more like the bottled version, I'd scale back the oak cubes to 1 oz.

FWIW, this beer does change a little throughout the year. This isn't a knock on Firestone, but oak levels from various barrels in the union does change brew to brew. There are other threads on this forum discussing it.

The Fool
Non-Motorized Mechanized Division, BN Army
bikefoolery

Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:08 am

Anyone remember if they talked about carbonation level for DBA anywhere? I must've listened to both DBA shows about 3 times before I brewed it, but I forgot to take down a carb level.

On a side note, this beer is fermenting right now and it smells exactly like the Firestone Walker brewery :D
vinyl_key

Wed May 04, 2011 8:32 am

Last night I went through some books and come across Beer Captured. It was written by a husband and wife team that wrote Clone Brews. You guys have probably heard of them. I remembered a few different beers on cybi that were listed in the Beer Captured book, Firestone DBA being one. I thought I would see how close the first tasty brew was to that of the book. I listened to the show and compared notes. The book claims to be clones of all the recipes in the book, but the recipes are not even close to Tasty's. As a matter of fact, the recipe parameters are not even close to those of the brewers (per the interview with tasty). IBU's, OG and SRM were way off. I realize the first attempt Tasty gave this one was not cloned, but I wonder how many of these documented clone recipes are this far off.
Rictanica

Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:38 am

I have heard (on BN shows) and on other forums that those recipes in the "clone" books that that husband and wife wrote are NOT ANYWHERE CLOSE to ANYTHING like the actual beers.
There was NO research done with the actual breweries on those beers in the books.
Just "research" from homebrewers from their local homebrew shop... :cry:
*2012 Milwaukee GERMANFEST Best Of Show WINNER*

Next: Hoppy Amber Ale, Oktoberfest
Draft: Firestone Union Jack clone, "1892 Rauchbier" from Milwaukee Brewing Company !!
Bottles: Brooklyn L2 clone, Munich Dunkel, Schneider Hopfenweisse clone
driver8rws

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?