Re: Comments on the Fullers ESB Show

Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:05 am

Let me know how it turns out -- mine was definitely NOT CLONED ..... way lighter, more than I can imagine being affected by pasteurization and age.

Really nice beer ...... I wonder if my Simpsons dark crystal is really their light crystal :x
-- Scott

On Tap - Janet's Brown, Easy-Jack/SNPA mash-up
Primary - BCS Saison with rye
Secondary - Cabernet Sauvingon
animaldoc

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:45 am

I have only just found and listened to both the Fullers shows and am glad to see that the beers were cloned at the second try, once they sourced the correct ingredients and followed the fermentation sequence :D I am amazed that so much info was forthcoming during the interview.

My question is what do Fullers do to the water? Did I miss the head brewer giving this out?

I have a Ward labs test on my water, and it actually comes from reservoirs in the Burton area, but it must need some sort of treatment.

Is there anyone here who can find out the exact parameters that Fullers use when they "Burtonise" the London water, or guide me what to do if I post the report details.
silverbrewer

Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:56 am

Listened to all three shows now and have been convinced to try the partigyle. I know the 95/5 grain bill is constant but did anyone catch the final grain weights used to achieve the clones? I'll probably end up making my own calculations to hit a total gravity but with the unique no-sparge method I wasn't sure how much I could trust what I get on those.
zadams1

Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:51 am

I know a few people already confirmed this but I wanted to use a direct quote:
“It’s the same grist for each of those beers,” said Keeling. “Very simple. 95% British pale ale malt with 5% crystal malt (with a color of 75 °L). We mash it for 60 minutes between 64–65 °C (147–149 °F) and recirculate the runnings until clear. We begin sparging with 76 °C (169 °F) water and then start to collect the runnings. The first runnings all go into the first copper, which is completely filled as the sparging continues. This will be higher gravity. A second copper is filled with the rest of the runnings. Then each copper has a one-hour boil with the first copper using a much higher percentage of bittering hops than the second, lower-gravity, copper. We use Target as our bittering hops. Then we pitch yeast for both coppers at 17 °C (63 °F) before raising the temperature up to 20 °C (68 °F) for the main fermentation. Then it is lowered again.” ~ Fuller’s Brewing Director John Keeling
mts

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:54 am

I am still after the water profile that the show used to clone the ESB and the London Pride, or something someone else in authority has had success with. I will then use this as a start point and see what happens.......
silverbrewer

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:04 pm

I haven't seen anyone respond to this in the past couple of months. But if anyone can confirm this, I'd greatly appreciate it!

I'm still a little confused after listening to the show. They say that they blend the runnings in different parts for the two different beers. How is this any different from sparging and running off into the kettle that already has your first runnings? Doesn't the gravity just change at this point since you're diluting the first runnings with second runnings until you hit the gravity you want?

Do you blend ever after the boil or after fermentation?

The reason I ask is because in the show, he said that he takes the first runnings and then boils them for the ESB. He then takes the second runnings and uses them for the London Pride. I thought the runnings were supposed to be blended?

I'm really trying to figure out why exactly the parti gyle is necessary, when they say it is necessary...along with the process.
Primary: Holiday Nut Brown Ale w/ cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and vanilla
Bottled: ESB - "American Revolution" - All British Grains and Hops except dry hopped with centennials from my backyard. I infiltrated all the British ingredients :)
RoKozak

Previous

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?