0.7 0.11 lbs. Melanoidin Malt 1.033 35
7.3 1.18 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
6.0 0.96 lbs. White Wheat Belgium 1.040 3
3.0 0.48 lbs. Crystal 80L America 1.033 80
1.5 0.24 lbs. Black Malt Belgium 1.030 600

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.55 oz. Nugget Pellet 13.00 26.2 60 min.
1.09 oz. Fuggle Pellet 5.00 10.3 30 min.

Yeast
-----
yeast can be from a Jolly Pumpkin beer or

White labs wlp 550 then add Wyeast
5112 - Brettanomyces bruxellensis
5335 - Lactobacillus
5526 - Brettanomyces lambicus
to the secondary.

.15 American oak and .15 French Oak
The oak cubes are boiled for 30 sec in the microwave to pull out some of the flavor and aromatics, also to soften the oak flavor. Pour off the water and add just the oak cubes.

I reused the oak cubes from my Bam Bière clone but if you like, you can using the instructions above.

For this recipe I was worried about percentages so the amounts for the grain is odd feel free to round up if you like.

I did not have any Dark Munich so I added .7% Melanoidin Malt.
So if you have Dark Munich, drop the Melanoidin Malt and use 8% Dark Munich.
Cuda

Re: Madrugada Obscura "Dark Dawn" recipe

Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:15 pm

Mike-
Great job on these past two shows. Before I delve into something like this, I would love to try the original; did you find it in NorCal, or did you have some shipped to you?
Thanks,
-Greg
-Otterbrew

On Tap at Home: Hella Hoppy Double IPA, Barley/Wheat Wine
Otterbrew

Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:05 am

I was just listening to the podcast of this one today and thinking that I gotta brew this beer (or at least something close). However, I have a couple of questions:

- what do folks think about using Belgian Candi syrup (probably the Dark) instead of the mix of sugars? Not sure I've ever seen Turbinado sugar down here in NZ. Obviously it wouldn't be a clone, but I wonder if it could be an interesting substitute.

- likewise I'm wondering about the bugs. Importing the Wyeast bugs packs is fairly pricey so I was wondering about culturing up the dregs of a local sour beer. There's a brewpub here (Hallertau) that ages a porter in Pinot Noir barrels and it gets a lovely brett character so I was considering going with that.

Any thoughts on how this would turn out?
Martin
Auckland, New Zealand
Homebrewer and member of the Society of Beer Advocates (SOBA) http://www.soba.org.nz
ElectricLandlord

Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:53 am

Cuda,

Nice job on this recipe, keep these coming!

Two questions, what was your final gravity and what would you expect the final gravity to be if you didn't Brett it?
I missed my gravity to the high side - 1.085 :oops: It's sitting at 1.030 now, not sure if I want to Brett it or not.
It's such a damn fine recipe as it is, not sure if I brett it, I'll do it justice or not. Go easy, I'm a Brett virgin :?

-Egil
"The easiest way to spot a wanker in a pub is to look around and find who's drinking a Corona with a slice of lemon in the neck."
-Warwick Franks
Egiltheviking

Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:03 pm

Could you use:
Wyeast Belgian Lambic Blend
http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststrain ... cfm?ID=129

instead of buying the three Wyeast yeasts mentioned in the recipe? I don't know much about sour yeasts but it seems that the Belgian Lambic blend has most if not all of those separate strains of bacteria.
Westco

Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:18 pm

Well, I've brewed my version of this. It's slightly different for various reasons but it is definitely this beer at it's heart.

I've called my version "Tintin's Black Heart" and the recipe is as above but I replaced the honey with Dark Candi syrup, which I added after the initial fermentation had died down.

I also added some reduced wort - I always have 3 or 4 litres of wort left in my kettle with all the trub and I normally use this for starter wort, but didn't think the black stuff was all that suitable for a starter. So I reduced 2 litres of this down to half a litre on the stove then cooled it and added it to the primary along with the candi sugar.

It fermented out to 1.014 which makes my ABV around 8%. The beer doesn't taste as acrid as I expected - I anticipated having to wait a few months for the roast to mellow out but it's perfectly drinkable now.

I've bottled 5.5 litres without any oak or bugs so i either have beer to blend with or to act as a comparison. I've racked the remainder to a secondary and added oak chips (can't get cubes in New Zealand). I will also add the dregs of a bottle of Hallertau Porter Noir 2007 which is a local bretty Porter. Then it's a case of sampling once a month to find out how it's going.

I've really enjoyed making this beer - thanks to the CYBI team for inspiring me.
Martin
Auckland, New Zealand
Homebrewer and member of the Society of Beer Advocates (SOBA) http://www.soba.org.nz
ElectricLandlord

Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:58 pm

I was curious how many people have brewed this and what it turned out like. I brewed 10 gallons and it's approaching 6 months old. The gravity is down to 1.010 and has stayed that way for two months now. I think I will bottle soon. So far I am impressed with how it's tasting. If anyone is interested I can post more info. Please post some stats about your clone.

Westco
Westco

Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:34 am

Cuda or others,

For carbonation, whats the vols of CO2? I'm thinking 2.5-2.7.

Cheers
"When you said you mounted animals, I thought you were a taxidermist!" -- petting zoo, Oskosh WI
DBear

Next

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?