Magic Hat - Roxy Rolles(1lb of yeast)?

Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:01 pm

In the show talking about roxy rolles the brewer talked about using 1lb of yeast per/barrel, I don't know about you but I don't measure my yeast by weight unless it is dry yeast...did he mean 1lb like 16oz? Or 1lb like .125 gallons? I am curious because it seemed like a lot of yeast, based on his really quick fermentation (2 days).

Help a brother out.
Check out the Brew Buddy for iphone controlling your bcs-460.
np0x

Re: Magic Hat - Roxy Rolles(1lb of yeast)?

Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:36 pm

I brewed this beer and just pitched two vials of yeast for my batch. But I wasn't trying to clone it too much, it was actually an experiment to increase my extract efficiency. Your question is tricky because the dry weight and liquid ounces do not convert well without knowing the density of the liquid. 16 fluid ounces of mercury would obviously weight more the 16 fl oz of water. I'd say just pitch the regular amount of 1million cell per degree plato and you should be ok. Good luck.

Stay Funky,

~FunkEnet~

Fermenting:
Coffee Stout
Chocolate Stout
On tap:
Single Hop Pale Ale: Cascade

funkenet

Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:12 am

Sure, i am good with standard pitch rates, I hadn't heard of "1lb of yeast" as a unit of measure and wanted some indication as to how it related to the rest of us....
np0x

Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:51 pm

Pounds per BBL is a common way for commercial brewers to measure yeast. Gallons per BBL is often thrown around too. While this doesn't really translate to homebrewers because we don't know the consistency of the slurry they're repitching we can still use JZ's calculator to figure our pitch rates out.

Probably just repeating the obvious, but, just sayin'....
Fupa

Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:13 pm

I guess one could weigh a known volume of yeast from the bottom of a commercial fermentor THEN use jz cacluator to reverse engineer what this comment means.....It all gets additionally confusing when you realize that there is co2 in with the yeast and the volume expands as it warms up and fluffs up more until you agitate in water...

Too much effort honestly....will just assume the maximum density end of JZ yeast slurry pitching calculator ...
np0x

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?