Arrogant Bastard Show

Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:01 am

I just wanted to say I have listened to many hours of CYBI and The Jamil show archives. I loved the Arrogant Bastard show. I think you should seriously consider blind brewing more beers, or at least attempt it once blind beore you interview the brewer.

Lets face it Jamil and Tasty are both very talented and accomplished brewers. If they interview the brewers and get 80-90% of the information they need they are going to nail 90% or better of their clone attempts. While this has the wonderful benefit of putting a known good recipe out there for us homebrewers, I feel it would be much more of a challenge and test of Jamil and Tasty's skills to formulate a blind recipe.

This has the added benefit of being a much greater learning experience for the listener. I really enjoyed listening to why they went with this malt, or that crystal, and I learned a lot listening to them troubleshoot the beer when it was complete.

I would love to hear more blind clone attempts on future BN shows. :aaron
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness
Zen_Brew

Re: Arrogant Bastard Show

Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:36 am

Just listened to that today as I brewed a pale mild. Sometimes I think the boyz learn more by not successfully cloning the beer than by getting it right. I wonder how close the adjusted clone will come to the original.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:28 pm

Downloading the mp3 right now. Arrogant bastard is one of my favorites...
beerpressure

Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:59 pm

I just figure that people will be annoyed with, "we came close, we'll do it again" on every show. I think most people in the end want the recipe and most aren't as patient as you. :)
I hope my post helped in some way. If not, please feel free to contact me.

Jamil Zainasheff
http://www.mrmalty.com

"The yeast is strong within you." K. Zainasheff
jamilz

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:12 pm

I'm more interested in the process of trying to clone a beer than the actual recipe. It is fun to hear the decision making and debate on ingredients. For those of us that are trying to develop recipe formulation skills, it's very informative. I might suggest breaking up the shows into 20 min segments done over several days/weeks. First segment could be tasting the commercial example - discussing flavors and potential ingredients for the upcoming recipe. Segment two can be discussing the actual ingredients and process used, and tasting the clone attempt. Final segment could be the critique with both the brewcasters and the brewer tasting and discussing the clone, and any suggestions for making it a closer attempt.

Logistically, they could record several segments in one sitting.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:53 pm

jamilz wrote:I just figure that people will be annoyed with, "we came close, we'll do it again" on every show. I think most people in the end want the recipe and most aren't as patient as you. :)

Thanx for the answer JZ. Love the shows! Well if you only tried it blind the first time, then interviewed the brewer you'd only be saying "we came close, we'll do it again" every other show. :)

Besides, I bet you guys would start nailing them without the brewers help half of the time anyway. You and Tasty are like the Dynamic Bruo.

Plus that way we get two recipes. The close one, which is probably a fine interpretation, just not quite true to form, and then the true one. I'd enjoy brewing the one that is close. I'd just tell my friends, yeah I like Arrogant Bastard, but I wanted to change things up a bit with my interpretation. Then when they laugh and say I just wasn't able to brew it right I could brew up the second one where you guys nailed it and be like Hey! Check dis chit out while you're bull $hittin. :aaron
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness
Zen_Brew

Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:04 pm

Must say I enjoyed the show too - probably not a process which would be entertaining show after show, but certainly a good/interesting way to approach those beers with massive reputations. Good to listen to the process as a novice brewer too.

On a side note, I know Jamil has expressed a concern for this adlib style of show and the lengthy trial and error process it might involve. With that in mind, will Jamil and Tasty both be brewing slightly different recipes of the 'clone' or will only one continue to brew each batch? Thought it might allow the show to explore more recipe avenues and possibly speed up the process.

Unless building suspense is what they want. :wink:

A great show though, the best so far for mine, and I can't even get Arrogant Bastard here! :|

Kev
koalasprint

Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:18 am

I was hoping they would at least bring up the oaked version. Regular Arrogant Bastard is fine but not a person favorite of mine but I do like the oaked version a great deal.
PFC BN Army - Tactical Hop Command
Fermenting - Kolsch, Blonde Ale
Kegged: Flanders Brown
Aging: Brown Lambic, Chocolate Porter
President and Chief Bottle Washer - HopRunner Brewing
~Ross
HopRunner

Next

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?