Re: CYBI - dead guy ale?

Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:08 pm

I was entering this recipe in Beer Smith and it came up with 40 IBU's I see where I can change the formula from Tinseth to Rager. Is the IBU's for this recipe in Rager?
Heater
hhaynes

Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:18 am

So, I guess I was the only one who brewed this recipe....wow
Fryday's Home Brewery

"I shaved my balls for this!?"
imacoming

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:10 am

Brewing it on Sat. I'm set to get the packman yeast on Friday. I ordered 2 packs. Would 24hr be enough time for the( one pack) starter(2L) or should I just use both packs?

Thanks
Heater
hhaynes

Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:55 am

hhaynes wrote:I was entering this recipe in Beer Smith and it came up with 40 IBU's I see where I can change the formula from Tinseth to Rager. Is the IBU's for this recipe in Rager?

CYBI recipes are always Rager.

Tasty
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:04 am

Just got my grains for Dead Guy. When I was at the LHBS they had a couple of different Carastan malts. One was light carastan and the other was just carastan. Being there was no mention in the show of light carastan I went with the regular carastan. As it turns out the regular is 30L. :? How much will this throw off the recipe? Will it just be the color that will be different?

Heater
hhaynes

Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:55 am

Isn't carastan very close to crystal? I could not get carastan, so I substituted it with a mix of crystal 15L, 45L, and 120L (just a dash)
The first attempt at the clone will be going into the keg tonight. If I like it I will be brewing 12 gallons on Sunday.
Fryday's Home Brewery

"I shaved my balls for this!?"
imacoming

Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:14 pm

Anyone else have problems with the IBU's of this CYBI clone brew? I used various calculators (with the percent AA's used by CYBI) and am only getting 30 +/- 1 IBU's... Should I:

1. jack up the 90 minute Perle addition?
2. add a 60 minute Perle?
3. add a 60 minute Williamette? (have a bunch to spare)

Thanks.
mgo737

Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:12 pm

[[list=][/list]b]IAnyone else have problems with the IBU's of this CYBI clone brew? I used various calculators (with the percent AA's used by CYBI) and am only getting 30 +/- 1 IBU's... Should I:

1. jack up the 90 minute Perle addition?
2. add a 60 minute Perle?
3. add a 60 minute Williamette? (have a bunch to spare)[/b][list=][/list]

I encountered the same issue. I was planning to go back to the LHBS to up the existing amounts. I use BeerSmith for my recipes.
I moved my Sterling Addition to 7 min from Flame out. Figured I would get a 3 to 4 IBU's from that alone. I am planing to add more Perle to get to the right IBU's

Could I use (I) anymore!!!!
Heater
hhaynes

PreviousNext

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?