Mentioned on Sunday Session - flavors carried to next batch

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:47 am

I heard on the last Sunday Session about how a Helles Lager obtained it's smoky character from the previously brewed batch and I can confirm that has also just recently happened to me after brewing a decoction mash.

(Suck it!) JP mentioned how he has never had that happen on his batches. I never really noticed that happen myself until I just recently brewed a Dunkelweizen and did a decoction mash of which I accidentally scorched the decoction mash when I was ramping up the temp to boil.

My very next batch (Cream Ale) and the next after that (IPA) both had a residual "burnt" flavor from the equipment. I use a cooler for my MLT and it also has a CPVC manifold, and of course the plastic bucket for primary. Perhaps these porous plastic items carried some of the flavors into the next batches.

Has anyone else noticed this or something similar on their plastic MLT or fermenters? I wouldn't think this could happen on a system with a stainless MLT and false bottom, unless you filter (as was mentioned in the interview).
Homebrewing Since (way back in) Dec 2007
Fermenting: Batch# G!0042 - DevilPhish 66.6 IPA v2.5.5
Keg 1: Air
Keg 2: Air
Keg 3: Air

If at first you don't succeed...then skydiving is NOT for you!!!
RokGoblin

Re: Mentioned on Sunday Session - flavors carried to next ba

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:03 pm

RokGoblin wrote:I heard on the last Sunday Session about how a Helles Lager obtained it's smoky character from the previously brewed batch and I can confirm that has also just recently happened to me after brewing a decoction mash.

Someone on the podcast mentioned the yeast would have carried over the smoky flavors, but in my case, I did not re-pitch my yeast.

One further note I didn't elaborate on, my scorched decoction mash burnt on the bottom of my kettle and imparted a "burnt toast" or almost smoky flavor in my Dunkelweizen wort. That "burnt" flavor has tamed down a bit after a week in the fermenter and another week force carbonating in the kegerator.

RokGoblin

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:29 pm

If you scorched your decoction it is completely possible that the plastic mash tun picked up some of those flavors.

I'd suggest you soak your MT in a warm bath of PBW. Be sure to include any fittings, hoses, braids - anything that could possibly have some stuck grain in it or residuals on it.

Good luck-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:59 pm

BDawg wrote:If you scorched your decoction it is completely possible that the plastic mash tun picked up some of those flavors.

I'd suggest you soak your MT in a warm bath of PBW. Be sure to include any fittings, hoses, braids - anything that could possibly have some stuck grain in it or residuals on it.

Good luck-

Thanks for the advice, I usually give it a good soak with OxyClean free...we will see how that works out after the next time around...the flavor might die down, or maybe it will become part of my brewhouse flavor :mrgreen:

RokGoblin

Return to The Sunday Session