Re: Citrus Bomb IPA recipe

Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:53 am

It was a really nice beer. First time I tried that hop combo, so I was looking forward to it. Tasted like a fair amount of Simcoe to me.

I liked how clean and unobtrusive the malt was; it really supported the hops well. I like FW Pale 31 for the same reason. This was in the same league for me.

Nathan kept asking me where I wanted to go to drink, and I kept telling him "back to your place." Although if we hadn't gone out, I wouldn't have gotten the fresh Pliny on tap (can't even get it in bottles here), fresh Anchor Steam (can get it in bottles, but it's shot by the time it gets here), or Tasty's JBA (the homebrew was better than the commercial version).
gordonstrong

Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:19 pm

I re-brewed this beer for the NHC. Look for Citrus Bomb at the BNA6 on Wednesday night and the BN Hospitality Suite at 3PM on Saturday afternoon (the perfect way to shake that Club Night hangover).

I changed the yeast up a little bit this time for this batch, but everything else stayed the same:

Citrus Bomb NHC Edition!
    10 gallon batch, 2 different carboys. ~ 7% ABV for both.
  • WLP051 California V 1.067-1.015 w/ Falconer's Flight dry hop.
    Aroma & Flavor notes: Mango, Grapefruit, slight biscuit.
  • Wyeast 1098 British Ale 1.067-1.014 w/ Falconer's Flight & Citra dry hop
    Aroma & Flavor notes: Grapefruit, Marmelade, slight plum

Some Like it Hoppy? I'll have a few more IPAs at the NHC, for your consideration. Look for these somewhere between the BNA6, DOZE booth & Club Night, DOZE Hospitality Suite (11:30PM after club night!!) and at the BN Hospitality Suite (Saturday @ 3PM, don't sleep through it)..

DANKness, "A pale IPA" -
    10 gallon batch, 2 different carboys.
  • WLP001 California Ale. Aroma & Flavor notes: Tangerine, Orange, spruce tips, black pepper, Cousin
  • Wyeast 1272 American II. Aroma & Flavor notes: Orange, Honey, Cousin, Pine needles, slight biscuit
    Both versions 1.068-1.013, ~7.3% ABV. Both Apollo, Summit, Falconer's dry hop.

North Oakland Double IPA - both 1.074-1.008 8.7% ABV
    10 gallon batch, 2 different carboys.
  • Wyeast 1056 American Ale w/ Summit, Amarillo, Simcoe dry hop. Notes: Tangerine, Pine, fruit loops, grass, ethanol.
  • Wyeast 1056 American Ale w/ Columbus, Centennial, Simcoe dry hop. Notes: Lime, Lemon, Pine, Orange, Curry Leaves, cousin. Big complexity!

Twitter updates when/where these will be pouring at BNA6/NHC: Follow @nathanhomebrew http://twitter.com/nathanhomebrew

Great excuse to geek out on some IPA ideas.. Look for them and try 'em out. Probably spent more cash on these beers than the conference.. I'm certainly not going to look back & calculate at this point!

I have them all blended together in a glass right now (Some kinda IPA Grand Cru?). Wow.. Orange blossom honey, grapefruit, pine, black pepper cousin. Interesting and deceptively smooth.
Last edited by nahthan on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers! Kippis! Skål! Prost!
-Nathan Smith <nate@destroy.net>
Twitter: @nathanhomebrew
nahthan

Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:55 am

Please say you will be pouring it at NHC. Please please please please.

Edit: Oops. Mental Note: Read whole thread before replying!
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:42 am

Just racked 10 gallons, finished a bit high at 1.018. Looking forward to it, only four more weeks to go.

As an aside, I'm dry hopping with Falconer's flight. This is my first dry hopping with pellet hops. I'll be re-racking again, maybe this the I'll use my plate filter!
tjayfowler

Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:33 pm

Just wondering why this recipe differs from the More Beer recipe and the others I've seen. in the other recipes there's no mention of a mash hop or even Delta and no Turbinado sugar addition. Just curious.
alexm

Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:25 pm

My guess would be they had to simplify the recipe a tad. I have brewed it without any sugar or Delta hops and it has come out awesome each time.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to The Sunday Session