new hop garden

Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:53 pm

Just planted a hop garden today. Got two Williamette ant two Cascade. Planted on south side of house with 16 foot trellis lines. Anyone out there with some advice to ensure good growth this season? Not expecting much this year, but want a good start. Any info/ advice is greatly appreciated.
Never insult a man untill you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way, when you do insult him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.
nakedbrewer

Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:12 pm

If you have mutts, put up a fence. I have a boxer and rather than eat them or anything like that, he ran by them at warp speed and severed them at the ground. Needless to say they were gone. Good news is, they just broke ground and apparently they are back this year, and soon to be fenced in.
BadRock
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:26 pm

Water. Give them lots of water....and sun. Lots of sun. I'm on year 3 with mine and you basically can't kill these things once you get them going. I just split one of mine today. We'll see how that goes....

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:26 pm

Got two great danes. Think I got a snow balls chance? :lol: Put up a small rock wall around entire garden that effectively keeps 'em out.
Never insult a man untill you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way, when you do insult him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.
nakedbrewer

Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:37 pm

My dogs have never showed any interest at all in them. Running over them chasing a ball or something would be my biggest concern.
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:54 am

Lufah wrote:My dogs have never showed any interest at all in them. Running over them chasing a ball or something would be my biggest concern.

Maybe you should play on the other side of the yard. :wink:

Oh, You meant the dogs chasing a ball or something. Never mind
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:40 am

Lufah wrote:My dogs have never showed any interest at all in them. Running over them chasing a ball or something would be my biggest concern.

That's exactly what happened to mine. One minute they were doing great, the next minute they stuck in the dogs collar as he ran through the yard.
BadRock
Global Moderator

Return to Homegrown