Re: 2008 HOPS!

Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:57 pm

I harvested mt Cascades today, probably a week or two late, but I got a good harvest. I ended up with about 2 lbs of wet Cascade. Not bad for first year plants.
I didn't even bother with the Fuggles and Goldings, they were eaten by japanese beetles, and had no real usable cones. :(

I've got them drying in my garage with a box fan/furnace filter set-up. Any one have an estimate on how long this takes? Days?

Thanks!
Capt. Pushy, BN Army Corps of Engineers
(not to be confused with Push E.)

Building a Better World Through Beer
Brew Engineer

Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:24 pm

I checked on my hops this evening (about a day and a half in the fan) and they were definitely dry and ready. I ended up with 10 1/4 ounces of dried Cascade! Now, when can I brew...

:bnarmy:
Capt. Pushy, BN Army Corps of Engineers
(not to be confused with Push E.)

Building a Better World Through Beer
Brew Engineer

Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:10 pm

My Cascade are just now making bud. The Sterling never even tried. It's been pretty cool in Indiana this year, no I am not complaining. Cascade 15 feet, Sterling 4 feet.
I got a tip from a cousin grower: dry the bud and bag them, wait 24 hours, pull them out and dry again. Apparently it is common for them to pull moisture after the first drying and mold will set in. Just saying
larry78cj7

Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:16 pm

larry78cj7 wrote:My Cascade are just now making bud. The Sterling never even tried. It's been pretty cool in Indiana this year, no I am not complaining. Cascade 15 feet, Sterling 4 feet.
I got a tip from a cousin grower: dry the bud and bag them, wait 24 hours, pull them out and dry again. Apparently it is common for them to pull moisture after the first drying and mold will set in. Just saying

WOW! Apparently I have no fucking clue on what year it is! :asshat:
larry78cj7

Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:17 pm

larry78cj7 wrote:
larry78cj7 wrote:My Cascade are just now making bud. The Sterling never even tried. It's been pretty cool in Indiana this year, no I am not complaining. Cascade 15 feet, Sterling 4 feet.

WOW! Apparently I have no fucking clue on what year it is! :asshat:

:roll: :lol: :asshat:
triple-oh_six :bnarmy:

Cajun Brewing
triple-oh-six

Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:00 am

Sadly, my hops are on the ground now:

Hop Collapse!

They grew much stronger than they ever have before (these are 2nd, 3rd and 4th year plantings), probably because it's been so wet here. The first time they collapsed I got on the ladder and restrung everything, but the second time I just gave up and picked 'em on the ground. They were pretty much ready to harvest anyway.

Anyone have a good recommendation for string that is thin enough to go through an eyelet, strong enough to last a whole season but will still biodegrade quickly in a small "cold" composter?
Home brewing, home canning, wine, mead, cider, cheese, pickle making and edible gardening information at The Cellar and the Pantry.
chapka

Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:18 am

My wife and I bought our first home this year so spring 2010 is going to be my first year growing. I was planning on using either parachute cord from any outdoor store or some thin steel or aluminum cable with a quick disconnect on the end.

Has anyone used a standard wooden trellis like for climbing ivy?
Jaeger48

Previous

Return to Homegrown