Re: Anyone ever brew with nuts?

Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:32 pm

I'm suprised it took a full page for the nut jokes to start :) :nutters:
Bad Goat Brewing

Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:32 pm

Klickitat Jim wrote:I reread this thread. I'm not sure I would mash my nuts.

For those who like nuts in their beer but then find they aren't getting any head, maybe try losing some of the fat. The presence of too much fat makes head nearly impossible.

I wish I was smarter because then I could develop special nuts that actually make head better, then lots of people would want to put my nuts in their beer. Fun way to make money, win win.

Those that can't put their nuts in their beer can always put their beer on their nuts. Head will be improved that way. Win/Win
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:22 am

Bad Goat Brewing wrote:I'm suprised it took a full page for the nut jokes to start :) :nutters:

Sorry, I've been busy & haven't been able to check in as often as I used to.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:25 pm

I've got a chocolate pecan porter (call it PCP) fermenting as we speak, that used pecans in the mash. I'll keep you posted. I don't know about hazelnuts, but I've seen it recommended to toast pecans before you brew with them. Maybe hazelnuts are the same way? I toasted the pecans I used at 350 for ~15 minutes, tasting them as I went and I could really notice some fine flavors coming through as well as a dramatic reduction in bitterness. I added 3 lbs to a 10 gallon (75 min mash) batch that ended up with a O.G. of 1.068, but I have a feeling I'l have to dope it with extract later.
Jp, but not that JP.
Jhpaul

Previous

Return to Homegrown