Wild Hops

Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:45 pm

I was out with some friends today, picking elderberries, when I was asked to look at a plant. It was a hop bine! I picked about one quart of hops and am drying them on a screen. I have no idea what cultivar they might be. I'll use them in a batch in the next few weeks and report back.

Kansas City used to be a big hop growing region, but stopped more than 100 years ago. I wonder how long they have been growing along this train track. I could see about 20 sq yards of them. Not much in the way of aroma, but they are yellow with crystals.
KC-Dave

Re: Wild Hops

Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:53 pm

probably cluster or something similar.
We have shitloads of wild hops growing near me. It is claimed to be THE largest hop field in the world back in the 1880's. Then, a hop louse hit and destroyed the crops and they moved to Yakima.

My homebrew club did a demonstration brew at a festival a few years ago - it was a CAP (complete with cereal mash) and fresh hopped with the hops we picked that morning growing along the side of the road. It turned out very catty, but it was a lot of fun anyways.

http://home.comcast.net/~friendsofsnoqu ... ochure.htm
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Return to Homegrown