Re: Hop Trellis (pics)

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:21 pm

scotchpine wrote:That's an awsome set up. I have somthing similar but not hinged and it's a PIA to pick them. Also, being in La. do you cut them back in May, June or so? I read in the last BYO that it's better for growers in the south to do this so the cones become mature in the cooler fall, instead of the heat of summer. This is my second year crop of Cascade and mine are already 7 feet tall. :jnj

I have never cut my plant back, ever, it is also Cascade. I have had great harvests each year, this will be the 5th year. I haven't read the article yet (I'm really behind on my BYO and Zymurgy) I'm sure they know what they are talking about, but I'm not going to fuck with a good thing. I picked close a pound the first year, last year I picked 4 times, at least a pound each time.
triple-oh_six :bnarmy:

Cajun Brewing
triple-oh-six

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:24 pm

iceclimber wrote:Good looking trellis...my hops have just popped out of the ground. Stupid northwest ohio weather!

Not to rub it in, but.........right now my tallest bine is 10'

....and my unheated pool is 82F :mrgreen:

Cajun Brewing
triple-oh-six

Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:39 pm

triple-oh-six wrote:
iceclimber wrote:Good looking trellis...my hops have just popped out of the ground. Stupid northwest ohio weather!

And today it is in the 40's and raining all day!
iceclimber

Wed May 04, 2011 12:38 pm

triple-oh-six wrote:

Well, how tall are they now? Mine are 12' high and can't figure out where to go next! My pool is too cold to get in, but crystal clear 2 days after I opened it. My pump ran for 2 days then burnt up :(
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Fri May 06, 2011 11:43 pm

Dude, that sucks about your pump, that shit ain't cheap. My hops are at 12' right now, I tried to take a pic but could not locate the camera be4 it got dark, I am loaded right now, andhave been for some time.. and my pool is fucking green right now, currrently dumping a fuckload o chemicals in, i suspect karma :evil:

Cajun Brewing
triple-oh-six

Sun May 08, 2011 6:41 am

Convert that bitch to salt water bro!!!! 10 times easier to keep stable.

Sergeant, Gulf Coast, Air Force Div.

Keeper of the :asshat: 2011-2012

"Push keeps shoving something in my mouth" Kim Woods

BJCP Judge
Whitebeard_Brewer

Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:56 pm

Sweet, are you still getting good production even with the rhizomes that close together?

Cheers :jnj
On Deck - Oktoberfest 2011 Ale
SurfinMonk

Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:43 pm

Sorry, I've been busy, haven't been posting much...

@WB I've heard that converting to salt is not cheap, I've thought about it though

@SurfinMonk This is all one plant, well it started as one rhizome anyway, and yes, I get great production. The only reason professional farms trim down to just a few bines is b/c they harvest mechanically, there is no need if you are hand picking. (at least that's what I've picked up from a little research.

I need to post some pics, both my Cascade and the new CTZ are at the top of the trellises. :bnarmy:

Cajun Brewing
triple-oh-six

PreviousNext

Return to Homegrown