Hops & Dogs

Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:38 am

I have heard that Hops are really really bad for dogs. So bad that it could kill them easier than chocolate. But, in all books I have read about growing hops, it doesn't mention this.

Does anyone know if hops will kill a dog?

I want to grow some this coming spring, but not at my dog's expense. Thanks

:unicornrainbow:
On Tap:
Saison
IPA
Oatmeal Stout
Light Ale

In Secondary:
Brown Ale

On Deck:
Kolsch
Tarp Town

Re: Hops & Dogs

Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:09 am

There has been a lot of discussion of this topic over the years on this and many other forums. The short answer is yes, hops can be toxic to dogs.

However, some breeds are much more sensitive to the hops than others. Greyhounds, I understand, are pretty much at the top of the list. The actual problem is toxic hyperthermia. This means that they cannot control the rise in body temperature and essentially die of high temperature.

The good news is that dogs will seldom bother hops as they are growing. They are, however, attracted to the spent hops after the boil. These hops are infused and coated with all those yummy malt sugars from your wort. Dogs seem to like the sweetness.

In short, go ahead and grow your hops, but toss the spent hops into the garbage can. I would avoid putting those hops in a compost pile unless you have some way of making sure no animals can get to it.

If you do a search on line for dogs and hops you will find more scientific explanations of the problem, but this pretty well summarizes what you will find that is of use to you.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:12 am

Thanks Wayne!

I was more worried about fresh hops falling on the ground for my dog to eat. My spent hops are already rushed to the garbage once my wort is transferred.
On Tap:
Saison
IPA
Oatmeal Stout
Light Ale

In Secondary:
Brown Ale

On Deck:
Kolsch
Tarp Town

Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:10 pm

My boxer got into and ate an unknown amount of fresh hops, unfortunately it didn't kill him but I wanted to. Like Bug said it must be fairly breed specific.
BadRock
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:28 am

Thanks.

I'll probably still take some medium security measures just in case, but if a boxer can handle hops, then my 100 lb american bulldog can most likely take it.

Let me know if anyone comes across a list of breed's that hops are bad for.
On Tap:
Saison
IPA
Oatmeal Stout
Light Ale

In Secondary:
Brown Ale

On Deck:
Kolsch
Tarp Town

Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:04 am

some dogs seem to also seem to naturally shy away from them. I have a Min Pin and she does not like any beers of mine that have any noticeable hops.
Cheers!
Tavish
---------------------------------------------
An empty kegerator is a crime against humanity. -Dirk McLargeHuge
Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer. - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Where the fuck is the BACON???????? - Bdawg
tavish2

Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:36 pm

I'm sure a little bit of chicken wire around the base of the trellis will keep a dog from curious pokings around. also, once you prune the lower few feet you should be good.
::BN Army Pilot::

Fermenting: nothing...
Kegged: nothing...
Bottled: Sioux Yea Yea IPA
I need to brew...
RJH311

Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:06 am

RJH311 wrote:I'm sure a little bit of chicken wire around the base of the trellis will keep a dog from curious pokings around. also, once you prune the lower few feet you should be good.

and if that doesnt work, a nice little electric charge through the wire will reinforce that idea of "Dont touch my hops!"
Cheers!
Tavish
---------------------------------------------
An empty kegerator is a crime against humanity. -Dirk McLargeHuge
Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer. - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Where the fuck is the BACON???????? - Bdawg
tavish2

Next

Return to Homegrown