first time hop-growing query

Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:08 pm

I planted a Cascade rhizome which is growing in my garden. Just as the vine was around 7 feet the tip of the hop broke. Subsequently(the last few days) the rest of the plant has gone off in every direction and sprouted arms from beneath the leafs.I have one more vine coming off the rhizome(out of the earth) and my aim is to maximise hop-yield. But I don't know what to do. Will the vine that has spung shots wield hops or should I cut them off and lett the other proper vine grown upwards?

Any help appreciated!
Lan

Re: first time hop-growing query

Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:33 pm

Typically on a first year plant you want 2-3 bines coming out of your rhizome & should trim everything else back.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:28 pm

Trimming back the other bines will also make harvesting a lot easier, since it will concentrate the hops.
Sergeant BN Army
cdburg

Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:51 pm

Don't worry about maxing out hop yield on a first year rhizome. Those branching out growths will be where the hop cones form. Don't dick with them! Keep the Miracle Grow liquid fertilizer going on once every two weeks. The priority is on root growth, not harvest. If you would like to give yourself a chemical tattoo or burn, wrap one of the secondary growth branches around your arm in a spiral. It is my favorite poor boy tat and Cascades will tag you when you handle the bines.
:roll:
Eldorado/ Lemon Drop Summer IPA
German Bock
Boh Pils brewed on a 96 degree day.
gwk453

Return to Homegrown