Brun Water Help

Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:57 am

Hi I'm making a stout and using the Brun Water Calculator. I have my "Pale Mail Morris Otter" base malt entered and then I entered, Black Malt, Roasted Barley, and Chocolate Malt. So on these three do I select "Roasted Malt" on the drop down instead of "Base Malt"? When I enter these three as base malts the PH goes way down to 3.5. If I select Roasted Malt the PH is right on.

Thanks

Rick
rjfvt

Re: Brun Water Help

Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:11 am

I don't use it, so I can't be of much help there, but Martin checks in fairly regularly. He'll get you straightened out.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:26 am

For the roast, chocolate, and black malt definitely enter them as "roasted malts" in the drop down. Be sure to average your lovibonds for the malts provided as well. For example, if your chocolate is in the range of 400-500, then enter 450. I have had the best results doing this.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:36 pm

Thanks for your help.
rjfvt

Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:11 pm

Yeah choose roasted. I think how Martin has it, it's for the pH factor not flavor factor so his calculator can calculate the pH based on the roasting of the grains. That's how i envision it. It's been a few weeks since I used it. He has instructions on the front page and his website. Read them. Not super fun reading haha but informative on using his program.

And definitely shoot him a donation. The pro version is a lot deeper than the freebie.
Twah

Return to All Grain Brewing