Airlock Blew Off...Should I Be Concerned?

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:28 am

went to check my carboys this morning after adding a weisse blend and edxtra sugars last night.
they blew off their tops, krassuen in puddles around the base of the carboy. They have been exposed to oxygen for an unknown amount of hours now.

i now have them running into a a bottle of water with a run off tube.
it smell like a sourdough bread factory up in there

feck.
any chance the beer is okay?
grod31

Re: Airlock Blew Off...Should I Be Concerned?

Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:08 am

Moved to appropriate sub-forum.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:04 pm

I've had this happen a few times and then decided to switch from an airlock bubbler to a blowoff cap with silicone hose running into a erlynmeyer flack with enough sanitizer to cover the ends. I decided to start using fercap once they threatened to do it again and I'll never look back. They should be okay as long as they're kept somewhere clean and you caught it when the krausen was on its way out of the carboy and not settling back in. It sounds like you probably had enough active fermentation to keep Co2 moving out of the carboy so hopefully O2 won't be too much of an issue. let us know how it turns out.
"I encompass, and I eclipse..."
J.Brew

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:23 am

Holy shit - long time no see, J Brew! Welcome back!
I was just telling somebody the other day about that night we hit all the non-standard brews at GABF.
What a blast that was. Hard to believe its been almost 7 years. Wow, time flies.

Grod-
I agree it will be fine. Clean up the mess, put on a blowoff hose and you'll be good to go.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:03 pm

I know! Crazy huh. I too a bit of a haiatus from brewing but I'm back at it. Good to see some familiar folks still hanging around. Things have sure changed. Justin and the crew are up to big things! It's ALMOST a legitimate gig now.
"I encompass, and I eclipse..."
J.Brew

Return to Fermentation