Re: High fermentation Temps

Fri May 09, 2014 6:07 pm

I agree with Eagle.
Most of the fermentables were probably gone, and they were working on secondary byproducts. If that was the case, it is possible that you may end up with a very clean beer.

Let us know how this turns out. It will be interesting to hear.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:48 pm

Hey everyone just wanted to get some thoughts. I have a lager that I was fermenting in my fridge with a temperature controller and a heating belt on. these were on different power points and the fridge power point fuse blew but the heating belt still worked. so I checked on the beer the next morning and the temp was up to 30 C. The yeast krausen was still there but its smelling/ tasting of hot alcohols I fixed the power point and got the temp back down into range. what Im thinking about doing is racking this off and re-pitching some yeast to try break down these higher alcohols since there is still some sugars left. Anyone had this issue before and what did you do, how did it turn out? ill follow this batch through to the tap but if its still off, ill just dump the batch.
Private First Class BN Militia 1st Sheep Wrangler Division
Up next: IIPA
Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Kezzor: empty, Cider, empty, Wheat Beer, empty
hop loader

Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:46 pm

I don't believe pitching a new yeast will help with fusel alcohol reduction. Once those higher alcohols get produced they don't usually go away. Yes, aging the beer can sometimes help to reduce them a bit, but not always. I detest the jet fuel character in any style and have dumped batches that ran away from me before proper temp control. I also would not rack the beer off the yeast cake yet. Let the lager finish out to properly condition before making any serious judgement calls.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:00 pm

I don't often say it, but that's a dumper right there. Even I won't drink the jet fuel.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Fermentation