PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Re: High gravity RIS is stuck

Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:11 pm

that's what i did, the irish stout is pitched and the starter is back on the stir plate. i'm really crossing my fingers that i can get the RIS down a few more points, 1.032 just seems way to high to finish at
-PFC Kragaad, Abacus 'Brewing Company'

Fermenter - PBW
Aging - Sweet Mead, Dry Mead, Saison, Cider 1, Cider 2, Vanilla Bourbon RIS
Cellar - Cherry Porter, Pale (Cascade), IPA, Belgian Pale, Irish Stout
Next - 3 Pales (Citra, Amarillo, Experimental 342)
AbacusBrewingCo

Re: High gravity RIS is stuck

Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:17 pm

So in case anyone is curious, the starter that I split between the Irish stout batch and the stuck Russian Imperial fermentation did the trick quite well. The Irish Stout screamed through fermentation and finished at 1.014 from an OG of 1.045, probably in about 5 days or so, although I let it hang out for 14 days before bottling. The RIS dropped from 1.032 to 1.028 as a result of the starter, not quite as low as I was hoping for, but from an OG of 1.097 I think it attenuated about as far as I can reasonably expect.

The Irish Stout is still conditioning in the bottles, whereas the RIS has had the vanilla bourbon stew added (Knob Creek [5oz at 120pf], bourbon barrel chunks [2oz], and Tahitian vanilla beans [2], soaked for about 6 weeks) and will sit until December when I get it ready for a New Years' Eve unveiling.
-PFC Kragaad, Abacus 'Brewing Company'

Fermenter - PBW
Aging - Sweet Mead, Dry Mead, Saison, Cider 1, Cider 2, Vanilla Bourbon RIS
Cellar - Cherry Porter, Pale (Cascade), IPA, Belgian Pale, Irish Stout
Next - 3 Pales (Citra, Amarillo, Experimental 342)
AbacusBrewingCo

Previous

Return to Fermentation