Lagering in a Corny

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:48 am

Hi, all.

Since I rack right from my primary fermentation vessel to kegs for force carbonating (with great results, I might add), I have questions about lagering.

I want to rack from the primary fermenter to a corny keg and lager in there. In doing so, are there any concerns? Can I force carb while it lagers? Does adding CO2 pressure affect the lagering process?

Any help/thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

~widget
Buttwidget

Re: Lagering in a Corny

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:17 am

That's how I lager- primary to keg with a good blast of CO2. I don't continually carb, but I don't think it will hurt it either.
mtyquinn

Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:25 am

I feel that pressure will make the yeast settle more readily, whether that affects your lagering, I don't know. I've had a number of low floccing beers that were still a touch hazy going into the bottle, even after a long time in carboy that dropped yeast out shortly after being bottled.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:11 pm

I remember hearing or reading recently that you should lager before carbonating, but I haven't been able to figure out why. I have only done it a few times, but have had quite good results lagering in a pressurized corny (to hold the seals) before force carbonating. I really don't have anything to compare to, I have just really enjoyed the results so far. I was planning on doing a split batch to test the difference between lagering while carbonated vs while just pressurized in August/September (when keg and serving space opens back up). I will try and remember to share results here if you are interested. Has anyone tested this before?
Beer. Bikes. Cosmic B-fields.
adamK

Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:55 pm

I do the exact same process as you. Primary directly into a keg for aging/lagering. Most of the times I typically just gas the beer up once its in the keg (providing I have cold-crashed the fermenter first). With lagers, I cold crash the fermenter, then rack over a clear beer into the keg. I purge to seal the lid and then forget about it for 3-4 wks. Usually around week 3 or so I will start to force carbonate it to get ready for drinking.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:01 am

3-4 weeks? By then my first keg is almost gone or working on the second one with all the tasting to see how the beer is aging.
jimmiec

Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:50 am

Lagers seem to benefit a bit from a little more extended aging at least IMO. And if I keep the rotation of brews going I usually can afford to let a good lager age a few weeks before tapping into it.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:02 am

Letting a lager sit for a month will only help your beer. I hate when I get greedy and start drinking a keg only to find it taste better when it's just about out. Brew more beer. Let it sit.
mtyquinn

Next

Return to Fermentation