Apple juice cider help

Tue May 30, 2017 4:10 pm

I've made ciders with raw apple juice from an orchard before, but I wanted to see what a cider made from store-bought apple juice was like. I read numerous threads with information on the topic. From what I read, as long as the ingredients didn't include any preservative, it could be used. So I picked up 5 gallons of Target's store brand which has 3 ingredients:

• Filtered Water
  • Apple Juice Concentrate
  • Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)

Roughly 50 hours ago, I added 6 oz of honey, 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient, and Mangrove Jack Cider yeast. It's been sitting in a room that is roughly 70 degrees and I'm not seeing any krausen or fermentation activity.

Any ideas why it's not fermenting? FWIW, I was planning on finishing with Brett B so if nothing happens, I'll pitch that, but I was hoping to use that for a secondary fermentation.
Me: I'm gonna drink a Boon Geuze.
SWMBO: You're a booze goon.
PhillyBrewer

Re: Apple juice cider help

Tue May 30, 2017 4:57 pm

I don't do any cider, but how long has it been sitting like that? From how I read it, you waited 50hr and then added the yeast, then there was some indeterminate time until now. If it has been more than a couple days, then that would seem suspect.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Wed May 31, 2017 1:29 pm

PhillyBrewer wrote:I've made ciders with raw apple juice from an orchard before, but I wanted to see what a cider made from store-bought apple juice was like. I read numerous threads with information on the topic. From what I read, as long as the ingredients didn't include any preservative, it could be used. So I picked up 5 gallons of Target's store brand which has 3 ingredients:

• Filtered Water
  • Apple Juice Concentrate
  • Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)

Roughly 50 hours ago, I added 6 oz of honey, 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient, and Mangrove Jack Cider yeast. It's been sitting in a room that is roughly 70 degrees and I'm not seeing any krausen or fermentation activity.

Any ideas why it's not fermenting? FWIW, I was planning on finishing with Brett B so if nothing happens, I'll pitch that, but I was hoping to use that for a secondary fermentation.

I ferment cider like this all the time but skip the nutrient step. For me, it is just a fun/cheap/easy way of getting something on tap. I have never had much of a krausen form. At most, there is some bubbling and a very low like circle of krausen in the middle. nothing like a beer fermentation. Take a reading after a few days to really determine if it is fermenting.
Brewshki

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:25 pm

It's fermenting just fine I'm sure. You're just not seeing it. Don't expect a krausen, especially not with store-bought juice, there's not any protein in there probably to form a krausen. Look very closely for tiny fizz bubbles popping. Check gravity if you want to see if it's falling yet. I'll bet it's well underway.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Return to Mead & Cider