Pasteurization?

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:07 pm

Does a professional cidery, or at least person who wants to sell their hard cider have to pasteurize at any stage? What are the laws/regulations? Do breweries, wineries, cideries, have food safety standards? I'm from Oregon, any specific to here?
doctorcosmonaut

Re: Pasteurization?

Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:07 am

There are better places to research the laws specific to your area than on a forum where 99% of the contributors don't live within 100 miles of you... such as calling the appropriate authorities & doing the research that is necessary before opening up your own establishment. Or perhaps networking with professionals who are doing this correctly. A hobbyist forum, not so much. Good luck with your endeavor. You're going to need it.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Re: Pasteurization?

Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:22 am

Listening to the progasm (Going Pro) shows on Brew Strong may point you in the direction of many of the local, state and federal agencies that you'll need to work with, as far as pasteurization, I don't think that is ever required unless your process is such that it becomes necessary to ensure that the product gets to consumers hands the way that you want it to.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Return to Mead & Cider