Re: Rib Rubs

Thu May 16, 2013 11:40 pm

Try this 4teaspoons paprika 2 teaspoons of the following onion powder garlic powder salt then one teaspoon of the following pepper and powdered bell pepper flake.
The only soldier in the BN ARMY with Ink on his legs promoting The Brewing network and BN ARMY. Prost

"The BNA is my therapist." Mickp
Henning1966

Mon May 27, 2013 6:59 am

Here is my Carolina rub recipe. It tends to be a bit on the hot side so you may want to cut back on the cayenne and/or the chili powder. With this rub you may not even need any bbq sauce. Rub this on the meat (rib or pork shoulder) and let it sit covered in the fridge overnight before sticking it into the smoker.

2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup paprika
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Tue May 28, 2013 6:38 am

Bugeater wrote:Here is my Carolina rub recipe. It tends to be a bit on the hot side so you may want to cut back on the cayenne and/or the chili powder. With this rub you may not even need any bbq sauce. Rub this on the meat (rib or pork shoulder) and let it sit covered in the fridge overnight before sticking it into the smoker.

2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup paprika

Looks similar to the one got of the Homer Smith show, except the cayene pepper. 1 TBSP of each except salt and chili powder which get 1/2 TBSP is enough for 2 racks (family doesn't like them spicy). Rub vinegar, worcestershire sauce, teriyaki sauce and mustard on ribs and apply generous amounts of rub and let them site overnuight. Just did 4 racks on Sunday...mmmmm!!!
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Tue May 28, 2013 7:33 am

Thanks Bug. Very similar to mine. I also have a bit of celery salt in there, and I always use kosher salt or coarse sea salt.
I do the 3-2-1 method, most often. 3 hours on the smoke, 2 hours in foil with either apple juice or a spiced rum in it, then 1 more hour unwrapped in the smoker. The last hour is just heat, no smoke. Helps dry/firm them back up.
I've been fooling around with a jerk spiced rub, lately.( thanks porkslapper for the idea!)
Once I get it where I want it, I'll post it back here.
Been using apple and cherry wood for the new blend. Usually I run hickory.
Just might have to experiment with some maple.
Thanks all!
Cheers!
snowcapt

Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:44 am

I braised some pork spare ribs for Memorial Day that came out great. I used this rub recipe and extra salt

4 ounces salt
8 ounces sugar
4 ounces cumin
4 ounces fresh ground black pepper
4 ounces chili powder
8 ounces paprika

I put them in a deep pan on a rack, added one cup of apple juice and one cup of apple cider vinegar, wrapped tightly in foil and baked at 275F for around 2 hours & 45 minutes. When they came out I brushed them with sauce and put them on the grill to char them up. REALLY EASY and came out great!!
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:49 am

snowcapt wrote:I've been fooling around with a jerk spiced rub, lately.( thanks porkslapper for the idea!)

Glad you enjoyed, post your finished rub, I'll use it on some chicken and pork one of these summer evenings. :jnj
Bottled: fresh hop pale ale
On tap: Moose bile strong ale
In the cellar: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial Stout
Lagering:
In the fermenter: Moose drool clone
In the works: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial stout
PorkSlapper

Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:57 pm

Did a variation of Alton Brown's rib rub last night.

8T brown sugar
3T kosher salt
1T chili powder
and then 1/4 tsp each of onion powder, thyme, black pepper and paprika.

braised in Hef with some vinegar, worcestershire and honey in the mix.
nikkormat

Previous

Return to Great Food VigArously