Re: Turkey is in the brine!

Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:26 pm

My brine this year will be a mix of apple cider and smoked porter, along with rosemary and thyme.
MNHazmat

Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:48 pm

In-laws asked me to bring an extra 4-8lb turkey breast in addition to their bird. Is this an audition for next year or something? Anyway, I'm going to try Paxton's recipe with some Brooklyn Post Road that's been in the fridge for awhile. I'll taste the beer first to make sure it's okay, but I rather not go out and by a six pack just for the brine. I don't think the saison, baltic porter, or double IPA I have on tap would be good.

I also picked up some of the cheeses from NHCs Beer and Cheese seminar.
breslinp

Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:28 pm

I'm doing Paxton's brine using one bottle each of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen and Franziskaner Dunkel Weizen.
I'll pat it dry, rub a garlic/butter/herb mix under the breast skin and then hit it with a commercial rub that I've used a few times to good results.
Once prepped, low and slow in the smoker using cherrywood chips at 225F until its done (165F internal temp).
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:24 am

I'm doing Paxton's South of the Border brine from BeerAdvocate magazine a few years ago.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Great Food VigArously