Re: Recomend a smoker???

Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:30 pm

My wife got me a Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker for Christmas. I love it!
Digital controlled. You just dial in the time and temp, and add your wood chips.
Easy as hell and the food comes out great.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:46 am

I got a Traeger for Christmas... I've owned several others and this is the best so far
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline- it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer" - Frank Zappa
ddgbrewing

Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:11 am

I do mine on a barrel style Kingsford grill. Build two small charcoal piles on either side, meat in the middle. Smoke with hickory chips (my dad owns a sawmill). Pork shoulder is the way to go... with the electric you have a little more freedom to just set it up and go, I can't sit and watch it for 12 hours, so usually get it jump started in the oven for 6 hours, then transfer and finish it out in the smoker/grill.

Friends of ours have a yearly block party, and I've been doing pulled pork for it the last few years. I generally am doing ~30lbs of pork for the event, so I'm sharing my procedure below.

For pork shoulder (butt), don't go bigger than 6lb, the bigger ones tend to be a bit tougher and don't get all the way through the way we want it... the center is on a 8-9lb shoulder can be the texture of a pork chop. I prefer bone-in shoulder, as it gives a little more support when the meat is fall apart tender. Check the ends of the shoulder for any bone chips or shards, and remove them, rinse it off. You can brine the shoulder overnight if you like, Pax has lots of info on brining, and a fun way to bring beer or wort to the mix.

When you're done brining, or if you decide to skip it, pat the shoulder dry and discard the brine. If you're able, you can leave the shoulder to warm to room temp, but I often can't do this since I'm starting them at 6AM to be ready by the evening. I use butchers twine to truss the shoulder, with the twine wrapping around every 2 inches or so down the length of the shoulder. I'll take the end of the twine and tie it to the start of the truss to make a convenient handle.
Take your rub (you can buy commercial or make your own), and cover all surfaces of the meat, pressing it in.

From there, you're ready to go to the smoker (or oven in my case), with bone down and fat side up. You want the temp to stay under ~250F, which will be easier for you if you're using electric. If you are doing oven first, transfer at 6 hours and smoke for the remaining time. If your heat source is directional, rotate the meat for even cooking. This is important for me, since I'm regularly doing 5-6 shoulders at a time, with heat sources to either side.

The key is low and slow... keep the temp down and let it go for a long time. If you're doing charcoal, keep an eye on temp and add more and crack your vent a touch if it starts to drop, if it gets to high, close vents down and spritz with water if necessary. Add wood chips as needed.

At the end of cook time, remove shoulders from the smoker and tent them under foil for 15-20 min, then pull it. The majority of the fat and connective tissue should have liquefied, and the rest allows for redistribution of juices as well as allowing it to cool slightly to make pulling easier to do.

I prefer to serve it with sauce on the side, mine is a vinegar and tomato based sauce that's got a nice punch to it. I love the texture differences, and adding sauce to the meat makes the crispy, chewy delicious 'bark' get all soggy and less enjoyable. I did a crockpot variation where the pork was braised in Stone Smoked Porter and I strained and reduced the braising liquid and added that in as part of my sauce...

Damn, now I'm hungry and craving the meat... :asshat:
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Great Food VigArously