What beer to bring?

Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:24 pm

So I'm bringing the beer tomorrow, and I'm trying to decide what to have with a thanksgiving dinner. Here's what I have in the basement, lemme know what you guys think. I want to make a good impression with my beers.

Hailstorm Steam Ale- Light and refreshing California Common, it's a pretty well brewed beer that's my "lawnmower beer" of choice. Beer has a great head, fabulous lacing, and is very clear. The hop flavor is low (perhaps too low for style) but gets pretty good reviews.

Ebeneezer Oatmeal Stout- Personally, I love this style and this batch. Some people have complained that they "can't taste the oatmeal" and I bite my tongue rather than educate them on this point. On this batch the head isn't quite as good, but it has a great chocolatey after taste. Would it be too much for a turkey dinner?

Burbage Irish Red- I couldn't get any roasty caramel flavors out of this one. Despite being a light beer (4.8 ABV) it feel a little "heavy" to my taste. Perhaps too malty. Head and lacing are perfect. 3 or 4 fingers of bubbly goodness. Some folks like the sweet aspect of the beer. I just can't see it with a Thanksgiving spread.

5 Minute Hate IPA- It's a damn strong beer (9.7 ABV) with a hop bomb flavor to it. My fear is that it might be too much. I love it's headstrong, punch you in the guts ways, but others may not be as inviting.

So, given the nature of the meal, what style should I bring down? I may wimp out and bring a selection, but I would rather serve the right beer with the right food.
Image Bob "G. Bob" Roland
Nickel City Brewing
gbob

Re: What beer to bring?

Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:36 pm

Cal Common and Turkey sounds like a nice combo to me.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Re: What beer to bring?

Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:59 pm

take the cal common, give the masses what they want...nothing too heavy or too outside thier comfort zone, besides, save the good stuff for yourself :jnj
I'm enjoying my 6-pack....my 6-pack of Superbowl trophies!
twitter.com\@ajignatz
ajignatz@gmail.com
Steelers&Beer

Return to Great Food VigArously