Ideas needed for Brew Club free or cheap......

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:02 pm

Website hosting and chat program. A forum like this would be fantastic for our club as well. Tired of seeing funds leave the club's bank just to pay for a website that crashed a lot and an archaic chat program. Any ideas out there? Thanks all!
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Re: Ideas needed for Brew Club free or cheap......

Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:11 am

Kbar wrote:Website hosting and chat program. A forum like this would be fantastic for our club as well. Tired of seeing funds leave the club's bank just to pay for a website that crashed a lot and an archaic chat program. Any ideas out there? Thanks all!

Our club is very small (<30 people) and only in it's third year. We just use a private facebook group in place of a forum or chat. The club also has a facebook page for more official postings. It might not be as useful for a larger club.
1beerbaron

Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:18 pm

1beerbaron wrote:
Kbar wrote:Website hosting and chat program. A forum like this would be fantastic for our club as well. Tired of seeing funds leave the club's bank just to pay for a website that crashed a lot and an archaic chat program. Any ideas out there? Thanks all!

Our club is very small (<30 people) and only in it's third year. We just use a private facebook group in place of a forum or chat. The club also has a facebook page for more official postings. It might not be as useful for a larger club.

We have that as well, but a lot of members are very anti FB. Would be so easy if they just used FB.

Thanks!
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:12 pm

We use GoDaddy. Domain name and Linux (basic) hosting is about $75.00 a year.

Facebook sucks for a brew club. It pretty much killed ours because it's totally fucking non-linear, and you can't hold a conversation on it for squat!

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:47 am

Kbar wrote:
1beerbaron wrote:

We have that as well, but a lot of members are very anti FB. Would be so easy if they just used FB.

Thanks!

Google+?
1beerbaron

Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Google+?[/quote]

Yes, looking at that but the website builder is clumsy and very archaic. Wix has a good builder, but that is going to cost still.
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:15 am

Our club (30-40ish members) uses GoDaddy.com as well. It's a simple website with links to our phpBB forum and social media. The forum is tied into the phone app TapATalk, which I find super useful for checking on-the-go. In fact, I probably access the forum through the mobile app more often than I do the actual website proper.
peanasky

Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:26 am

Weebly is what we ran our brewery on for the first year or so before we went to Godaddy. I am not sure about chat features but it was easy to build and maintain though.
OddballBrewer

Return to General Beer Related