Re: New England Ipa Opinions

Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:06 pm

I've tried several of these here in the UK. Yes the style has crossed over the pond (unfortunately in my opinion). Siren Craft Ten Dollar Shake is a good example which has fruit and is unfiltered, also Brewski Mangofeber DIPA. I personally don't appreciate the thickness of the mouth feel or the excessive cloying bitterness that you get with these beers. However, I know people that do like them.

I think that if the beer has been conditioned using fruit puree or has a certain yeast that does not flocculate then I can forgive the brewer for releasing it. I have made sour beers with a decent amount of haze but, I personally would not be happy if I had made a beer like a New England IPA.
Beerbrain

Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:33 pm

I also believe tropical fruitiness or whatever isn't a NEIPA thing as much as it is due to new hop varieties with fruity flavors.
Brian
KCMO
mobrewer

Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:50 am

I have only had one example from a SoCal brewery, but it was at a beerfest and let's just say I wasn't at my best tasting abilities at that point.

I would be open to trying them and possibly brewing one. My only worry about brewing one is that they are known to go bad pretty quickly and I'm not sure I could get through a keg quick enough.
Brewshki

Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:00 pm

mobrewer wrote:
Cacturne wrote:New England IPAs are beers that are purposely hazy or cloudy, which can give these brews a smooth, creamy mouthfeel – a departure from the light/dry mouthfeel you often get with West Coast IPAs – with little to no hop bitterness at the end utilizing hops that impart a tropical, juicy sweetness rather than the classic bitter, dank or citrus-y flavors West Coast IPA lovers have come to expect.

Sounds like my homebrew before I learned water chemistry and became more disciplined with my IPA technique.

The haziness is all about the water chemistry and technique. All they are (or should be if done correctly anyway) is have a high Chloride to Sulphate ratio, and dryhopping during active fermentation.

I love them. Great juicy flavor and very easy drinking.
Skibbereen

BN Army, PFC, Philly Division

Fermenter: Irish Red, Lambic 1 and 2, Framboise, Blueberry Lambic, Kriek, Sour Choc Porter, Sour BB Porter

Keg: Flanders Brown, BIPA, Choc Porter, BB Porter, Irish Red

On Deck: IIPA, Pilsner, Rauchbier, RIS
Skibbereen

Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:55 pm

I lick turtles :unicornrainbow:
Bub wrote:well played.... I see your creepy and raise you art
bloberglawp

Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:28 am

I always let the turtles lick me...it's a slow gentle kind of love.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:16 am

Totally! They have an interesting sandpaper-like texture to their tongues...
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:27 pm

NateBrews wrote:I always let the turtles lick me...it's a slow gentle kind of love.

Kind of like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3kXqlJhGuE
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

PreviousNext

Return to General Beer Related