High FG

Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:21 am

Hi all. I am new to this forum. I have been brewing for just over a year, all extract to this point but making the jump to all grain.

Anyway, I brewed a extract RIS in 12/23/16 with an OG of 1.100 (5 gl). I shook for 5 min to aerate and pitched what I estimated to be a buttload of harvested Notty. Fermented at 64 degrees. Bumped temp to 70 degrees for the 4th week. Went to rack to secondary last night and my gravity reading was 1.034.

I left it in the primary vessel and gently swirled to get some yeast back into suspension to see if that might bring gravity down a bit. As of now there is no "visible" activity. I plan to secondary for 3 months. Should I just rack to secondary and let it sit? The sample tasted great but I'm concerned about possible bottle bombs when I do bottle. Should I pitch some more Notty? Would CBC work? I do plan to use CBC at bottling.

Sorry for the long post. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Ned

Re: High FG

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:12 pm

Welcome

How did you take your gravity reading? If you used a refractometer, the reading must be mathematically converted because the alcohol produced will make the reading seem higher than it truly is. You can find conversion software in your brewing software (Beersmith?) or online like here (use the 2nd one down for during and after fermentation -- it requires current brix and starting brix).

http://www.northernbrewer.com/learn/res ... alculator/

If you used a hydrometer to measure, then you are on the right track as far as warming up the beer, and rousing the yeast.
I'd rouse the yeast up again, by carefully sanitizing a big spoon or racking cane and swirling up the yeast without introducing oxygen.
Nottingham can handle a beer that big, no problem.

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Re: High FG

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:35 pm

I don't think 1.034 is too high for RIS, especially an extract one. You made yourself a big beer and this style can handle a high FG and actually benefit from it too. Let it age and you will be well rewarded.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing