I can't get a trub cone.

Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:14 am

I'v done about 6 extract batches so far.Brew days go great but i have the same problem at the same time.I can't get a trub cone.I have a Morebeer 8gal heavy duty kettle with a ball valve.Yesterday i brewed Tastys Janets Brown.After i chilled,i removed the chiller and stirred the hell out of it and left it alone untill it stopped spinning thinking i would have a trub cone.I could'nt tell cause the wert is to dark to see thru.As soon as i slowly opened the ball valve it was already sucking trub in.I put a flashlight up to the tubing and you could totally see it.so i continued to transfer(like their was anything i could do about it).When i could finally see the bottom their was no cone at all.the trub was evenly flat across the bottom.Not even completely seperated,kind of mixed with wort still.My last batch was a Pliny clone and the same thing happened.Am I not stirring fast enough?I have no fittings inside my kettle and i used wirfloc.I want to put a small 90 elbow on the inside to get more wort out but this will make things worse without a trub cone.It's almost as if the hotbreak and "stuff"is to light to settle while the wort is spinning.Could this be a result of me chilling to slowly and affecting the consistancy of the hot break to settle out? I have a standard immersion chiller and takes me about 25min to chill.sorry for all the questions but i don't know anybody that homebrews.Thank You
moshpit

Re: I can't get a trub cone.

Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:42 pm

How long did you let it settle?

Do you get a nice cold break?

Why are you worried about trub?
thomscottson

Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:27 pm

I haven't done extract in a while, is trub an issue with extract batches?
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:30 am

thomscottson wrote:How long did you let it settle?

Do you get a nice cold break?

Why are you worried about trub?

I guess it settled for about 20min. I think i got a good cold break. What makes a good one from a bad one?i'm not really worried about the trub,i just don't know why i can't get a cone by stirring and others can. I would able to get more wort out of my kettle with a cone. I only got 4.5gal in my fermenter and i started with 6.5gal of water. I guess i need to go to 7 gal.
moshpit

Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:01 am

Kbar wrote:I haven't done extract in a while, is trub an issue with extract batches?

I haven't done one in a long, long time either. I don't remember there being really all that much to worry about. I think it might also be a little less flocculant which may be why it won't gather up into a cone.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:12 am

Ozwald wrote:
Kbar wrote:I haven't done extract in a while, is trub an issue with extract batches?

I haven't done one in a long, long time either. I don't remember there being really all that much to worry about. I think it might also be a little less flocculant which may be why it won't gather up into a cone.

So in my extensive, 2 batch extract experience :oops: :roll: I've managed a trub cone in the pot on 1 and failed to get it on the other. I think the difference was how I added the hop pellets to the boils; the first batch I pitched the pellets in just after the smile and watched in horror as the 6 gallons of wort almost exploded out of the pot and was -oh so close- to painting my stovetop (and the ceiling?). That produced enough hop snot in the bottom of the kettle to cone up rather nicely (and perhaps a minor heart attack for me).

The second batch, I pitched the hops inside a fine mesh bag that was fished out at flameout. I still got a startling amount of hop dust in the wort, but not nearly enough to form a cone and far less than before.

If it's hard to tell, I preferred the hop additions of the second batch to the first.

I'm not sure how relevant this is to the OP, but despite what I filtered in the funnel on transfer from the second batch, I don't think it would have formed a cone no matter how long I waited or how hard I stirred.

Hope this helps...
CHBKorea

Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:18 am

You know you're a homebrewer when you own a 2nd mop just for your ceiling.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing