Yeast Starter

Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:21 pm

Many questions, thanks for all the feedback.

I'm gonna do a yeast starter in an erlynmeyer flask. 2L. for a 5 gallon partial boil. I have some questions.

According to Jamil's calculator I'm going to use 2 viles of white labs cal ale yeast into a 2L flask starter, usign DME and water to get a 1.030 OG. I'll stick the flask into a larger pot of boiling water and run it for about 30 min with no top on it. then, crash it down in an ice bath to about 65 and pitch in yeast viles and cover with a piece of tin foil, stick into my temp controlled fridge at 65 and run it for 2 days.

Then, do a batch of beer and when ready to pitch, just throw the whole flask into the wort and start fermenting.

sound good?
Extract Brewer
White labs only
Temp controlled drop in freezer for fermentation
mikevarela

Re: Yeast Starter

Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:25 am

Personally I'd probably only use 1 vial, but 2 can't hurt. All of my starters are in the neighborhood of 1.040. The gravity isn't all that critical, but I'd definitely go higher than 1.030. I just use the rule "cup to a quart"... use a cup of DME to every quart of water. Also, temp isn't critical with starters either. I'd actually suggest letting it go a bit warmer than 65F. You can be up in the 70's or even 80's without an issue... plus it'll do it's thing faster.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:55 pm

Ozwald wrote:Personally I'd probably only use 1 vial, but 2 can't hurt. All of my starters are in the neighborhood of 1.040. The gravity isn't all that critical, but I'd definitely go higher than 1.030. I just use the rule "cup to a quart"... use a cup of DME to every quart of water. Also, temp isn't critical with starters either. I'd actually suggest letting it go a bit warmer than 65F. You can be up in the 70's or even 80's without an issue... plus it'll do it's thing faster.

Everything Ozwald said, + cold crash and decant.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:06 pm

Kbar wrote:
Ozwald wrote:Personally I'd probably only use 1 vial, but 2 can't hurt. All of my starters are in the neighborhood of 1.040. The gravity isn't all that critical, but I'd definitely go higher than 1.030. I just use the rule "cup to a quart"... use a cup of DME to every quart of water. Also, temp isn't critical with starters either. I'd actually suggest letting it go a bit warmer than 65F. You can be up in the 70's or even 80's without an issue... plus it'll do it's thing faster.

Everything Kbar and Oz said + boiling for only 15 minutes as opposed to 30, adding yeast nutrient and aerating that starter wort before pitching the yeast and every couple of hours if you don't have a stir plate. You get a lot more yeast growth from oxygen than you do from actual carbohydrates in wort.
Afterlab

Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:13 pm

Kbar wrote:

That has been my experience...everything Oz says is correct. He has provided me with great advice MANY times and never been wrong. This gentleman is no hack!! He definitely know his way around a mash tun and ferm chamber.

:jnj
:aaron

I use the term gentleman loosely...
:P
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:01 am

Aw shucks guys. You're making my :unicornrainbow: all warm in my :nutters:

I must have looked over the boil time - 15-20 minutes is all that's necessary.

All of my starters get a healthy dose of nutrient, crashed & decanted as well.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:18 am

Ha..I've only ever done a 5 minute boil and only had 1 infected starter (let the ice bath water drop in by mistake once....whoops).
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:07 pm

thanks, so OZ,

1 cup (dry measure) to 1 Quart (liquid measure), or 1 cup (liquid) to 1 Quart (liquid.

Also, boil for 15, then crash in ice batch?

aerate by shaking ever so often and add nutrient (during or after boil?) and then I'm gonna cover with foil for 2 days? before pitching the DECANTED? liquid into the 5 gallon wort?

I mentioned 65 because I'm going to ferment my new batch there and don't want to shock the yeast.
Extract Brewer
White labs only
Temp controlled drop in freezer for fermentation
mikevarela

Next

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing