Are you interested in the hop exchange?

Yes, I will have rhizomes to send and will want some in return.
23%
Yes, I will have rhizomes to send but don't want any in return
3%
Yes, but I don't have anything to send, I only want to establish a garden
40%
No, I'm not interested
No votes
No, but I'll send someone my pants
33%

Total votes : 30

Rhizome Exchange

Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:46 pm

Hey,

I know its a little ahead, but I thought, why not set up an annual rhizome exchange. We can all post here over the winter what types we expect to have availible and what we're looking for. Then when the spring comes and we can cut the rhizomes, we know who to send them to and can cheaply increase our varieties of hops growing.

I figure priority should go to those who are offering up rhizomes, but if there are extras, we should be able to work out ways to sell/donate our extra rhizomes to those setting up a hog garden.

A good way I could see of monitoring the transactions, is for a +/- system, where you get 1 point added for each rhizome you send to another grower, and one taken away for each rhizome recieved. This would be a good way for priorities to be determined, and then the givers would get priority (as they deserve) and those who are just getting started would be mid list and able to get a few rhizomes before they move too far down the list.

I know I have a fuggle and ??? growing at my cottage (gonna be transplanted home sometime in May) which are entering their second years, so maybe next year I'd have some rhizomes to conrtibute.

Let me know what you guys think, I'd be willing to keep track of the exchange if others are interested. I figure they could be sent pretty cheaply. If they are coming free, you might as well just pop them in a ziploc or plain plastic baggie and then regular envelope and then they can be mailed for less than a buck.
Brown Ridge Brewing: My homebrew recipe's and brewing exploits.
SmartFoneCases.com: Quality cases at an affordable price.
beerdrinker

Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:01 pm

Just for those who wonder what the ??? hop variety is, I ordered four rhizomes from morebeer last year, but only two survived. One was the fuggle, my sister says she sang to it to motivate it to grow strong, and the other was either Northern Brewer, Williamette, or Chinook. I'll have to look up examples of the hop cones to find out which kinds I have ;-)
Brown Ridge Brewing: My homebrew recipe's and brewing exploits.
SmartFoneCases.com: Quality cases at an affordable price.
beerdrinker

Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:44 am

I don't have any Rhizomes to trade, but I just wanted to commend you on your excellent use of the "no pants" option in your poll... Kudos!

:lol:
Capt. Pushy, BN Army Corps of Engineers
(not to be confused with Push E.)

Building a Better World Through Beer
Brew Engineer

Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:19 am

I just got mine in the mail, and will be putting them in the ground this week-end. I will have Cascade and Willamette.

Sergeant, Gulf Coast, Air Force Div.

Keeper of the :asshat: 2011-2012

"Push keeps shoving something in my mouth" Kim Woods

BJCP Judge
Whitebeard_Brewer

Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:52 am

I'd love some Cascades over here in the UK but seems like there are quarantine issues. Well Freshops won't ship to europe anyway.

Is it worth the risk of getting a friend in the US to mail me one? Any ideas?
soilboy

Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:39 pm

soilboy wrote:I'd love some Cascades over here in the UK but seems like there are quarantine issues. Well Freshops won't ship to europe anyway.

Is it worth the risk of getting a friend in the US to mail me one? Any ideas?

What's the worst that happens? They get quarantined at customs?

In any event, I got my first order this year. Next year if all goes well my personal stash will be cascades, magnum, chinook (though i'm not sure all will be will). Also my school's beer appreciation club is going to grow cascade, zeus, KGs. I could always clip some rhizomes off of that next year.
thatguy314

Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:05 pm

how do we cut the plant to make rhizomes? if I'm lucky enough to get a good one I'd be willing to share a cutting, but I don't have the slightest idea how to do it
On tap 1: Dry Irish
On tap 2: El Jefeweizen
On tap 3: Vienna
kegged: Rye Amber, Belgian Dark Strong, CYBI Mirror Pond, Irish Red, RIS
lagering: Vienna, Helles, Cream Ale, CAP
Field

Re: Rhizome Exchange

Thu May 15, 2008 7:31 am

beerdrinker wrote:... but if there are extras, we should be able to work out ways to sell/donate our extra rhizomes to those setting up a hog garden.

If you're looking for people to mooch off you - let me know!
Be no longer a drinker of water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake

1 Timothy 5:23
Cosmic Charlie

Next

Return to Homegrown