Is Splenda (aka sucralose) fermentable?

Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:24 am

Hey,

I was wondering if anybody knew if yeast could produce alcohol and CO2 from Splenda. My dad is diabetic and wants to make wine, and as such, was curious about this. I realize it could be used for flavoring after the fact, but I figured I'd ask if it was a fermentable or not.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

- joe
trans

Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:54 am

Artificial Sweetners can be fermentable but the leave some nasty after tastes.

Specifically Splenda, I don't know

Dogger
"The immense importance of a pint of ale to a common person should never be overlooked" From the Canon of St Pauls Cathedral
Dogger Dan

Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:52 pm

the easy way to find out is to make a kinda of starter with jsut splenda and yeast and take some gravity readings

but the big question is why????
Thank God All Mighty For Titties and Beer
Ozbrewer

Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:59 pm

Thanks for the input. At least it's more than I know.

Just now I started fooling around with chemical equations to figure out what could be produced, assuming that the fermentation is possible, and CO2 and ethanol are also produced in the process.

With maltose, you get 4 molecules of CO2 and 4 molecules of ethanol for every maltose molecule. So far for sucralose, I'm having trouble figuring out what could be produced. The three chlorine ions in sucralose mess up things a bit. I'm going to fool around a bit more and see if I come up with anything, but so far I can't balance the equation. In any case, it seems a bi-product of some kind would be produced in the process.
trans

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:10 pm

Ozbrewer wrote:the easy way to find out is to make a kinda of starter with jsut splenda and yeast and take some gravity readings

Yes, that would tell you right there. Too bad I don't have any yeast around. I'll experiment on my next brew though. In the meantime, I hope to balance this equation to see what theoretically could happen though.

Ozbrewer wrote:but the big question is why????

I am on a quest for knowledge. Don't stop me!!!! Um, seriously though, it'd be nice to be able to ferment with Splenda and have the fermentation go pretty much like with glucose or maltose or the like, but with the residual sweetness that has zero calories. My dad tends to use Splenda a lot for sweetening, so I figured if he could have it in his wine, that'd help out a bit. Granted, there would still be normal sugar, but I was wondering if he could just substitute some Splenda for some table sugar.

But yes, as I'm finding out, the chlorine atoms in sucralose are probably going to screw things up a bit with regards to the end product, assuming it can be fermented.

- joe

- joe
trans

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:21 pm

I've always been under the impression that it won't ferment. The alcohol itself will have calories in it anyway. :? My father in law is diabetic and I just bottle beer for him in 8oz coke bottles.

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:47 pm

Well, I finally got a balanced equation, where I simplified formulas to names in most case...

In the end, assuming there was fermentation, here is a possible outcome.

Splenda + yeast -> 2 Carbon dioxide + ethanol + Pyruvic acid + C5H9Cl3

Apparently C3H9Cl3 is a hydrocarbon of some kind. In any case, if Splenda happened to ferment and made this mess, I sure wouldn't want to be drinking it.

I may try to ferment it for the heck of it though, just making sure not to drink it if it does ferment.

(By the way, I have no idea if the above equation is what would actually happen, but by coming up with that result, I balanced the equation and produced stable compounds from what I can tell.)
trans

Re: Is Splenda (aka sucralose) fermentable?

Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:15 pm

trans wrote:I was wondering if anybody knew if yeast could produce alcohol and CO2 from Splenda.

Hi Joe,

Interesting idea. My father is also diabetic. Most resources on the web seem to say that it is not fermentable, but:

According to http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/docket ... 002-02.pdf

"SPLENDA® Granular product does contain fermentable carbohydrate (maltodextrin) per 0.5 g serving."

code
codewritinfool

Next

Return to Brewing Ingredients