Iodophor vs. Star San

Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:54 am

I recently got a Beer Gun, but this question could apply to any CPBF.
I would like to keep a keg of sanitizer handy for anytime I want to use my Beer Gun. Normally I use Iodophor. From what I understand Iodophor is no longer good when it loses its color. It seems to loose its color after a few days, even in a keg. I was wondering would Star San last longer? How long is it still good after I mix the keg up?

TIA
Brad

Crossposted: B3 forum, thebrewingnetwork.com forum, beeradvocate.com, NothernBrewer forum
wezil

Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:59 am

It is good until the ph goes above 3 or it becomes cloudy. Whichever happens first. I usually run out of star san before it goes bad. You can also get a non foaming version of star san now. It might be better for you if you are going to be pushing it through lines with pressure.

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:19 am

StarSan is good as long as the pH stays below 3 (I think it's 3). When it goes above it turns cloudy. Be careful when using StarSan with copper items. Long term contact will reduce the oxide layer which isn't necessarily a bad thing but the copper should be rinsed well before use. It's like when you clean copper with vinegar.
Danno

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:30 pm

If you have hard water, it is best to use distilled or RO water to mix your StarSan. It will stay at a good ph a lot longer.

Now that someone has mentioned Starsan and copper, I brushed some undiluted on some copper fittings I soldered up for making a CFC. It cleaned them up nice and bright! A good rinse and they were good to go.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Return to General Beer Related