saving a batch

Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:25 am

HI Folks,

I brewed a blonde ale with an OG of 1.043 and a volume of 5 US gal. I pitched it with one packet of US-05 which I had rehydrated. I "should" have had enough yeast for the batch. I gave it a dose of pure O2 and fermented at 65 deg F. I kegged it a couple of days ago and it has off flavours which make me think the yeast was stressed or under-pitched. I'm going to leave it a while to see if it cleans up but I kinda doubt it. Rather than toss the batch I'm thinking about dosing it with brett. Any suggestions which one I should try?

Thanks,

Ed
Foxhill

Re: saving a batch

Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:07 pm

What was FG? Fermentation temp? Describe off flavors. There are tons of off flavors and being more specific could help in figuring out how to fix them.
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:08 pm

FG was 1.000 (4 brix on the refractometer, then corrected ) Ferm temp, as I posted, was 65 deg F. The off flavour was kinda phenolic. but not plasticy like a nice belgian, it was kinda chemical in nature. It was a though the yeast was stressed from being under-pitched.
Foxhill

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:14 am

I'm really just hoping for suggestions on which Brett strain to use.
Foxhill

Return to Fermentation