Do I dare repitch??

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:31 pm

On Monday I brewed the Wee-Heavy recipe from BCS. I realized this morning that my temp controller had taken a dump on me as the temp (supposed to be 65F) was 78F. I switched out the controller and now the temp is where it should be but i fear the beer is probably lost. Do I dare brew a second batch and repitch the yeast from the first or is it probably ruined also?
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Re: Do I dare repitch??

Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:57 pm

Why would the batch be ruined? the yeast may have kicked out a bunch of esters, but it should be fine otherwise.
Brewshki

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:22 am

That's what I'm worried about. I fear a lot of hot alcohol and solventy flavors.
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:14 pm

There's a lot of thermal mass in the fermentor, so it's doubtful that the brew's temp was anywhere near the same as air temp. And the yeast will probably eat the off flavors (if any) before it's done. If they don't you may have created something unique that you probably can't replicate!

Let it run. What have you got to lose?

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:55 pm

Charlie wrote:There's a lot of thermal mass in the fermentor, so it's doubtful that the brew's temp was anywhere near the same as air temp. And the yeast will probably eat the off flavors (if any) before it's done. If they don't you may have created something unique that you probably can't replicate!

Let it run. What have you got to lose?

Charlie

You're probably right, Charlie. Why not try? At least, I hope you're right! :jnj
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:26 pm

bazookazilla wrote:You're probably right, Charlie. Why not try? At least, I hope you're right! :jnj

Good man!

I have only made one really spectacular flop. My 36th all grain brew was a partigyle ESB, and somehow I managed to hit 164F on mash-in. My notes don't say how it happened, or what I did about it, just that it happened. OG on the ESB was 1.076 and it finished out at 1.028. The stuff was offensively sweet and virtually undrinkable, and the small beer (second half of the partigyle) was watery and unappealing. I dumped them both after a week of fretting about it, and never looked back.

Brew on!

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:03 pm

I tasted it a couple of days ago and thought it tasted pretty good. I think I'm going to rebrew and repitch and see what I end up with. Can't find out if I don't try. Thanks for the encouragement, Charlie!!! :jnj :jnj
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:03 pm

bazookazilla wrote:I tasted it a couple of days ago and thought it tasted pretty good. I think I'm going to rebrew and repitch and see what I end up with. Can't find out if I don't try. Thanks for the encouragement, Charlie!!! :jnj :jnj

Por nada. There was a time when I fretted about every little thing. And there was a good reason for that because brewing is such a broad subject that I knew damn little about any part of it in depth. But today I brewed my 150th all grain batch and it went like a charm. I'm beginning to feel like I know something about this hobby. :-)

Charlie
Charlie

Return to All Grain Brewing