Help With Kegging

Sat May 13, 2017 6:17 am

Hello all, I have finally produced a couple beer recipes i want to brew on a regular basis but need some critiques on my AFTER fermentation process. OK i was originally fermenting 5.5 gallons in a 7.9 gallon plastic fermenter. After fermentation i let it sit in the fermenter about a week at room (65/ 70 degree temp)temp then transfer via autosiphon to a 5 gal plastic carboy and cold crash in my fridge a week. Then transfer to a corny keg and carbonate. But i have noticed i still have a fine sediment in the bottom of the corny and i have had some brews develop a off flavor,its almost like a flatness or yeastiness even tho the beer is well carbed. I ended up thinking this may be oxidation so i altered my process. I bought a beer filter system and eliminated the week setting in the carboy and cold crash in the carboy. So last weekend i went from fermentation bucket to a corny keg, then forced beer thru the filter into another corny keg which i then set in fridge and carbed. I noticed today one week later beer is still hazy and a little yeasty then i remembered when i pulled the filter out after filtering i noticed it wasn't really full of sediment like i thought it would be.So is the filter for filtering in general or just for (polishing) the beer. Giving the equipment i have what would you folks recommend.I have corny kegs and carboys and the filter now plus access to a refrigerator .Thanks folk i feel like if i can get a good system going here i will be more satisfied with my results.
davemo

Re: Help With Kegging

Mon May 15, 2017 4:40 am

have you tried adding gelatin to the keg? I use whirlfloc tablets and add gelatin and get really clear beers from the keg. The first couple of pints I pour are pretty cloudy though. Also try giving it another week in the keg before drinking..
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:48 pm

+1 for gelatin added whilst kegging - if you can keep it cold for the first 36 hrs that the gelatin is in then I find it clears the brew in just a few days.
donchiquon

Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:48 am

It may depend on the type of yeast you use. Some flocculate better than others. I get an oxidised flavour when I brew Belgian Dubbels sometimes. I think this is caused by me fermenting too cold.
Beerbrain

Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:21 pm

Yes, depending on the yeast strain you are using, they will clear at different times.

I think it is good practice to minimize the amount of movement/transfers of the beer on the cold side (after fermentation). You made a smart move by eliminating the carboy aging after primary fermentation. Going directly from primary fermenter into your final packaging vessel (keg) is the best bet.

Once the beer is properly packaged into a properly purged and sealed keg, put it in the fridge and let it clear up in the keg. After 2 wks you should notice a decent clarity beginning to take hold and then as you begin to drink from the keg over the course of the next couple weeks it will become even clearer for you.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing