Gelatin? Yes or no??

Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:26 pm

I have some imperial oatmeal stout I am planning on kegging tomorrow. I always use gelatin to fine my beers. I know the stout is not going to "clear" but I want to get as much yeast and trub out as I can without stripping out any flavor. Is gelatin a good idea or should I just give it a little extra time to precipitate out?
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Re: Gelatin? Yes or no??

Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:22 pm

sure, go for it
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:43 pm

How long has it been sitting in primary for? Why not just let it sit another week for things to settle out a bit?

I typically give my big beers about 4 wks in primary before kegging them.

And as for an Imperial Stout which is already very dark (opaque mostly) I don't see the benefit of gelatin even if it is just to drop out extra proteins, yeast, trub, etc. Time and gravity is all you need for that in a big dark beer like this. Just my 2 cents though.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:10 pm

I kegged it Monday after three weeks. The final gravity was 1.018.
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:42 pm

Why use gelatin? The trub should have stayed in the kettle, and the yeast should fall out a week after it's kegged and crashed.

Removing stuff from a finished beer usually involves removing flavor and aroma too. I favor a minimalist approach in that respect. Hazy beers are all the rage now. One local brewer is even using a hefe type yeast to keep more aroma/flavor in their finished ales! That's a bit weird to me, but what do I know?

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:01 am

Charlie wrote:Why use gelatin? The trub should have stayed in the kettle, and the yeast should fall out a week after it's kegged and crashed.
I favor a minimalist approach in that respect. Hazy beers are all the rage now. One local brewer is even using a hefe type yeast to keep more aroma/flavor in their finished ales!

Charlie

I agree with you, Charlie. I think hazy=lazy. I don't want to filter it for sure, but wasn't sure whether gelatin would be a good idea or not. I think i will skip it altogether. :jnj
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing