Re: Sanitizing gas lines when kegging and bottling.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:50 pm

Bugeater wrote:Generally all I do is spray the connector with Star San just before sticking it on a keg post. Be sure to spray the post too. Every month or two, I take the connector apart and soak in in PBW for awhile to clean it. Dip all the parts in Star San and reassemble. The gas line will be clean enough that you don't need to put any sanitizer in it. If beer has backed up into the line, it needs a lot more than just sanitizing. Complete cleaning with BLC or outright replacing is in order.

On a side note, anyone ever take apart a cobra/picnic tap after a long time of use? Holy mackerel, they get super gunked up with crud up inside the plastic housing. Definitely worth a cleaning from time to time if you use them.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:54 pm

One of the big motivators for me to get a set of Perlick taps and build a collar was that my picnic taps got so nasty. This sort of white slime goo would form in them...gross. The other problem was the moisture getting in the kegerator and making mold grow in there.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:37 pm

I know, I totally need to upgrade my serving area. As in put in some real stupid taps. My whole brewing equipment needs a major upgrade as well. I have been brewing all-grain on pretty much the same setup since I got started over 10 years ago. I slowly have been piecing together a new system in my head with some regards to potentially making it 100% lodo (or close to it anyway).
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing