Re: Who is brewing, right now?

Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:29 am

Finally brewing tomorrow after about 1.5 years off due to moving/life circumstances. Going to be brewing a strawberry rhubarb saison. I'm super excited to finally be brewing again! :unicornrainbow: :nutters: :unicornrainbow:
1beerbaron

Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:22 am

Sounds great! Welcome back to the best hobby ever. Keep us posted how it turns out.

Just kegged up a cream ale today. Yum for hot summer days. Kegging up a German Pils tomorrow too.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:24 pm

It's Kolsch time! Well, tomorrow is. Tonight is starter time, which doesn't seem as exciting.

0.5oz Mt Hood @60
1oz Mandarina Bavaria @10
1oz Mandarina Bavaria @0
1oz Mandarina Bavaria @ dryhop

Yeah, it will be too hoppy...boo hoo
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:40 am

NateBrews wrote:It's Kolsch time! Well, tomorrow is. Tonight is starter time, which doesn't seem as exciting.

0.5oz Mt Hood @60
1oz Mandarina Bavaria @10
1oz Mandarina Bavaria @0
1oz Mandarina Bavaria @ dryhop

Yeah, it will be too hoppy...boo hoo

What yeast strain are you brewing with? If its WY 2565 get ready for a fermenter eruption!
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:16 pm

Yeah, it is 2565. I did a 1.5L starter of it yesterday and now it is ready to be pitched in as soon as the wort gets down to 58F. I saw your post earlier, so I put it in my biggest carboy (6.5g maybe). There are a couple inches of headroom in there, though the starter had a pretty thick krausen on it even with the stir plate running.

NateBrews

Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:09 am

Making the Kolsch went nicely. I brewed it with my dad which has never happened before, so that was nice. I decided to be more restrained with the hopping after all and did:

1oz Mt Hood @60
1oz Mandarina Bav. @ 5
1oz Mandarina Bav @ dryhop

I can always turn up the dry hopping charge later if it seems like it needs it.

NateBrews

Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:37 am

Brewday went pretty well. Getting everything setup out of storage took a lot longer than it normally wood, but the day itself went pretty smoothing. I'm hoping to add the strawberry and rhubarb next weekend.
1beerbaron

Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:48 pm

NateBrews wrote:Making the Kolsch went nicely. I brewed it with my dad which has never happened before, so that was nice. I decided to be more restrained with the hopping after all and did:

1oz Mt Hood @60
1oz Mandarina Bav. @ 5
1oz Mandarina Bav @ dryhop

I can always turn up the dry hopping charge later if it seems like it needs it.

I kegged a saison with Hallertau Blanc for flavor/aroma along with some Czech Saaz. Tried out some spelt and rye in this one too. Dried out to 1.006 with WY 3724. Only foil over the carboy mouth to avoid the stall.

Brewing up a classic kolsch tomorrow. Trying out German Merkur for bittering at 60 min and the rest Hallertau. Unfortunately, when I kegged my cream ale with the kolsch yeast, I f'd up and made my slurry to thin upon collection. I now only have about 90 mL to add to the fermenter tomorrow at 58F. Oh well, yeast are like nuclear bombs - you just got to get somewhat close to your pitching rate and let them cover the rest.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to All Grain Brewing