cornies to secondary and dry hop

Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:58 am

I'm tired of glass. the shit is dangerous. I have a stainless conical and some old pin-lock cornies and a my ball lock cornies (which I use). So, I'm thinking that I could secondary in the old pin locks and then transfer to the ball locks to carbonate/dispense. But ... can I just dry hop in the dispensing keg? would that make my beer all grassy and veggie-like. I know people do dry hop in the dispensing keg but is that because they have to or because it gives them some magical beer effect?
Socal
La Ola es Mio!
SoCal Surfer

Re: cornies to secondary and dry hop

Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:20 am

No issues with dry hopping directly in the serving keg. You will not get vegetal flavors from this. There are a couple options to pull this off -

1. Use a surescreen on your diptube.

2. Use a double layered (to minimize hop debris) paint strainer (sanitized of course) along with some nylon fishing line tied to it and positioned out the lid O-ring.

3. You can dry hop in one keg (with either above method), then jump to another keg with gelatin for fining if desired and serve bright from that one.

just some thoughts, and maybe someone else will chime in with some other ideas for ya too!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:22 pm

brewinhard wrote:No issues with dry hopping directly in the serving keg. You will not get vegetal flavors from this. There are a couple options to pull this off -

1. Use a surescreen on your diptube.

2. Use a double layered (to minimize hop debris) paint strainer (sanitized of course) along with some nylon fishing line tied to it and positioned out the lid O-ring.

3. You can dry hop in one keg (with either above method), then jump to another keg with gelatin for fining if desired and serve bright from that one.

just some thoughts, and maybe someone else will chime in with some other ideas for ya too!

that sounds like what I wanted to hear! thank you!
La Ola es Mio!
SoCal Surfer

Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:14 pm

I've dry hopped over 100 batches in the serving keg with no problems. Instead of the usual hop bag, I use a clean, new knee high nylon stocking (3 pair for $1 at WalMart) and tie it off with a piece of dental floss. The floss is just as strong as the fishing line and seals under the o-ring easier. I also suspend the bag high in the keg so I don't have to open the keg again after dry hopping. When you drink enough so the hops are no longer in the beer, the dry hopping automatically stops.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:06 am

Bugeater wrote:I use a clean, new knee high nylon stocking (3 pair for $1 at WalMart)

And we all know what you use the other 2 pair for. :unicornrainbow:
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:41 pm

I have used ball locks to dry hop both as serving vessels and transfer vessels. I personally use SS dry hop tubes. Pricey but nice. When you use kegs as a transfer vessel the nice thing is you can do a completely closed CO2 transfer. Nice on those SanDiego hop monsters. I feel I can keep all my hop aroma.
Unlike brewinhard I have gotten vegetal flavors after letting it sit a few weeks on dry hops.
My process on hoppy beers.
When the beer is close to finishing I'll transfer under pressure into purged keg with hops in SS tube. I'll let sit 3-4days while I start to chill beer down to 34*. Then transfer with CO2 to another purged keg this one with gelatin. I'll hook it up to my kegerator and wait overnight. With the kegerator already hooked up Im careful not to move the keg so I don't reconstitute the beer and gelatin. The first few pints expel the gelatin and leave me with a crystal clear pour. Then I carb.
It's a lot of work for anything but hoppy beers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Stepp2

Return to All Grain Brewing