Re: Roggen Pils?

Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:17 pm

This beer sounds like it should work quite well. I use rye in a cream ale recipe using saaz hops and then ferment with a kolsch yeast. Produces a very crisp, clean lager like beer without having to bother with lagering.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:29 pm

I was planning to do the fast lager turn around method (Tasty method) and turn it out in 3 week or so. It is hot out now, and I have to mow the lawn so I need it ready sooner than later. I've had pretty good luck with that method so I'm excited to get it done. I'm planning to brew Sunday, and I just made up a starter wort to grow the yeast up for it. Fortunately, being so small it won't take a ton of yeast.

The Aurora hops have a lot of that spicy character like saaz but with a bit of citrus in there too, but just a bit. Hopefully it will play well with the rye character.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:29 pm

Well, I'm drinking a glass of this right now and it is almost exactly what I was shooting for. 3.5%, plenty of mouthfeel and light easy drinking. The rye character plays well with the spicy/earthy hops that are in it. It might be interesting to do this with a hop like mandarina bavaria to make it more citrus, or maybe the spice and citrus would clash and it wouldn't work at all.

There is a little slickness at the end of a swallow that I imagine is from the 40% rye that is in there, but it isn't offensive at all. I think this will get brewed again.

NateBrews

Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:31 pm

NateBrews wrote:Well, I'm drinking a glass of this right now and it is almost exactly what I was shooting for. 3.5%, plenty of mouthfeel and light easy drinking. The rye character plays well with the spicy/earthy hops that are in it. It might be interesting to do this with a hop like mandarina bavaria to make it more citrus, or maybe the spice and citrus would clash and it wouldn't work at all.

There is a little slickness at the end of a swallow that I imagine is from the 40% rye that is in there, but it isn't offensive at all. I think this will get brewed again.

may have to give this one a shot
Brewshki

Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:35 pm

Go for it, it turns around pretty quick. I brewed this one on 6/19, so that is 3 weeks or so. I hit it with 2g of gelatin to clear it up quickly.

Unlike the original thing I posted, I used this grainbill:

OG:1.036, adjust for your efficiency
4lb Pilsner
3lb rye malt
2oz cararye (you could leave that out I imagine)

If you do, please post it back here. I would be very interested if you tried it out with other hops or yeast.

NateBrews

Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:32 pm

brewinhard wrote:Even without the caramunich, the rye ad dition will give you plenty of body and mouthfeel needed for this style. And I would totally scale this up to a 1.045 or so.

Just FYI, Bugeater (here on the forum), makes a rye cream ale. You could also do a search for that one.

Yes I do make this. I will be brewing it again soon with a kolsch yeast. Just take a good solid cream ale recipe and add a pound of rye malt. Hop it with saaz hops (or another noble hop). Ferment in the upper 50' s or low 60's.
Bugeater

Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:45 am

Bugeater wrote:
brewinhard wrote:Even without the caramunich, the rye ad dition will give you plenty of body and mouthfeel needed for this style. And I would totally scale this up to a 1.045 or so.

Just FYI, Bugeater (here on the forum), makes a rye cream ale. You could also do a search for that one.

Yes I do make this. I will be brewing it again soon with a kolsch yeast. Just take a good solid cream ale recipe and add a pound of rye malt. Hop it with saaz hops (or another noble hop). Ferment in the upper 50' s or low 60's.

Bug,

does the rye malt come through for you on this one with only 1#? Curious if that could be entered in the new BJCP guidelines as an alternative grain beer?
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles