Burping Conical Fermenter w/CO2 During Dry Hopping

Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:22 pm

I have heard of commercial brewery's burping their fermenters with CO2 a day or so after dry hopping. This re suspends the hops in the beer to maximize the dry hop utilization. This seems like a good idea to really get that great hop aroma. I was wondering if anyone is doing this with their homebrew and what is your setup.
I currently have a SS Brewtech half barrel conical. I am guessing you would some how connect the CO2 to the yeast dump valve on the conical. I'm just looking for any advise.

How much pressure (I know it needs to be under 5 psi)?
For how long?
How often?
Is it worth the trouble?

Thanks, :bnarmy:
punk_rock

Re: Burping Conical Fermenter w/CO2 During Dry Hopping

Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:25 am

First, welcome to the forum!

If it was me, i'd try it around 10 or 15 psi, for 1 or 2 mins.

You don't want to go too low, or the pressure from the beer will make it flow into your CO2 lines.
According to this page:http://brulosophy.com/2015/04/27/under-pressure-the-impact-of-higher-psi-fermentations-exbeeriment-results-2/ you add .43 psi for every foot of depth in a column of water. We can round that up to .5 for ease of use and because beer/wort is heavier than water

The absolute minimum pressure you'd need to use is basically 1 psi for every 2 feet in height.
But I don't see any reason to go that low.

I'd try it once a day for the duration of dry hopping. Then compare it to NOT burping and see if there is a differenct.
I honestly don't know if there will be any difference or not.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:29 am

One other thing, you probably want to dump the trub before dry hopping, just so that you don't kick it up when you do this.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:33 pm

BDawg wrote:One other thing, you probably want to dump the trub before dry hopping, just so that you don't kick it up when you do this.

Good catch.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to All Grain Brewing