West Coast Road Trip

Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:06 am

Hi Fellas,
The wife and I, East Coasters, will be flying in to Seattle and driving down to San Francisco this fall. We plan on sticking mostly to the PCH, but have 9 days allotted for this trip. She's a beer girl so a lot of our itinerary will be dictated by breweries and sightseeing. She has an aunt that lives in Concord so we plan on two or more days in that area.

The only gotta do things are Anchor tour, Russian River, and a night at the Rogue Inn in Newport. And seeing the giant sequoias.

So, what would you BNers recommend? Any side trips we should take off the coast?

Thanks.
gotsumbeers

Re: West Coast Road Trip

Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:02 pm

There are a LOT of really good small breweries in Seattle.
Holy Mtn is one. Colin's got a spread of brett and barrel aged Saisons on tap right now. Great stuff.

Without a question - Cascade Barrel House in Portland is a MUST. TRY. FOR. YOURSELF. stio. And across the street from it (well, across and down the block) is the Green Dragon.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:25 am

Don't forget the rest os Sonoma County! Third Street, Lagunitas, Bear Republic, Hen House...

http://www.sonomacounty.com/sonoma-listings/breweries

Let me know when you're around and I'll meet you for a few!
"I encompass, and I eclipse..."
J.Brew

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:17 pm

This is the kind of info I want to hear. Thanks guys. BDawg and J.Brew, you guys look amazingly alike! J.Brew if I remember 6-7 months from now I'll hit you up.

After hearing Daniella's return the other week I think I may skip Russian River. I've had a few opportunities to try their beer out here but have always declined, holding out for when I could get it fresh out west. But waiting in line to wait more is dumb. Especially when there is great beer all around.
gotsumbeers

Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:21 pm

Really the only time you'll wait in line is when Pliny the Younger is out. And that is rare (hence the lines).
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat May 28, 2016 10:24 pm

Here is a starting point of what i like.

Seattle
Breweries: Reubens, stoup, holy mountain, cloudburst, sea pine, etc
Bars:. Chucks cd or greenlake, beer junction, noble fir, brouwers cafe, and so many more.

Tacoma
Engine house 9

Olympia
3 magnets

Portland
Breweries:. Cascade, breakside, culmination, great notion, Commons, hotd, deschutes, fat heads, etc
Bars:. Apex, growler guys, Belmont station, beer mongers, and many more

Astoria
Fort George brewery, buoy brewing

Tillamook
Pelican brewing and degarde

Available in Seattle and Portland typically, but their breweries are out of the way, Melvin brewing and barley browns. If you like pilsner, find chuckanut on tap somewhere in Seattle.
NoPantsBrewing

Sun May 29, 2016 9:57 am

gotsumbeers wrote:This is the kind of info I want to hear. Thanks guys. BDawg and J.Brew, you guys look amazingly alike! J.Brew if I remember 6-7 months from now I'll hit you up.

After hearing Daniella's return the other week I think I may skip Russian River. I've had a few opportunities to try their beer out here but have always declined, holding out for when I could get it fresh out west. But waiting in line to wait more is dumb. Especially when there is great beer all around.

Definitely check out Russian River. It will be busy but you won't have to wait in line. The beer is totally worth it and they have pretty good pizza there too!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:33 pm

Thanks guys for the info. At the tail end of the trip we'll be in San Francisco for 2 nights. Definitely doing Russian River. Just to say I did and buy a hat. Any recommendations for where to stay, eat, and drink? I've finally turned my wife on to sour beers so I'm really excited now. Except for the fact that she drinks all my sour beer :(
gotsumbeers

Next

Return to Travel