I give up

Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:29 pm

So I was ready to bottle my beer 3 weeks ago and seriously I've had the worse luck. First time I tried I had the priming solution ready and my aunt thought it was water so she threw it out...fine I'll just make more except that we didn't have cane sugar at home just some weird one. I had to wait a week because of lack of time recently...I made the solution again and now my cousin throws it out thinking its water. I was extremely mad and just left to calm down...today the same damn thing happened! My aunt throws it out again even when I tell her what's for! Point is beer has been in the fermenting bucket for a month now and I won't have time to do it til saturday...should I just drain it and make a new batch? It was my first brew (northern brewer bloc party ale) and sadly not a good experience. If imma have a bad beer I rather just toss it out and save the caps and bottling process than to bottle them and end up with something undrinkable.TIA and I'm getting a billboard size sign for these people to ask before throwing crap down the drain.
desperatehopmantic

Re: I give up

Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:27 pm

Don't toss your batch!
Just bottle it when you can.
Put a fucking SIGN on the priming solution that says "DO NOT THROW OUT - THIS IS FOR MY BEER"

Do you have a bottling bucket?
How big is your batch?

When I bottle condition a 5 gal batch, I don't cool the priming solution all the way down.
What I do is bring 2 cups of water up to a boil.
Add 3/4 cup corn sugar or 2/3 cup table sugar and bring it back up to a boil stirring so that it dissolves.
Once it gets back up to boiling, just let it boil for a couple mins, then take it off the heat and cover it with the cover.
The steam will sanitize the inside of the cover.

Let it sit for 5 or 10 mins. That's all it really needs.
Pour all the solution into the bottom of your empty sanitized bottling bucket. It's ok if its still pretty hot (really).
Get your sanitized siphon hose set up in the bottom of the bucket so that it lies on the bottom and is coiled up just a little so that the beer will flow out parallel to and at the edge of the bucket walls. Essentially, you are setting it up so that the beer will naturally come out in a gentle swirling motion. At this point, you want ZERO oxygen and splashing, just a very gentle flow out of the hose so it has a gentle rotating swirl.
The gentle rotation will guarantee that all the priming sugar gets mixed in and the cool temp of the beer will quickly cool down any heat in the priming solution. Siphon it all into the bottling bucket, then get your bottling hose and wand sanitized, and fill / cap all your bottles.

The extra step of using the bottling bucket is so that you won't transfer any particulate into the bottles, in addition to providing room for all the sugar to dissipate into the beer via the swirling motion. If you don't use the bucket, then you'll have a hard time getting the priming sugar uniformly distributed without disturbing the trub and without introducing a lot of air into the finished beer.

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:43 pm

+1

Don't throw it out! The beer can sit in that bucket for quite a while before it is a problem, a month is certainly no big deal. If it was 6 months, then you might have problems.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:31 pm

BDawg wrote:Don't toss your batch!
Just bottle it when you can.
Put a fucking SIGN on the priming solution that says "DO NOT THROW OUT - THIS IS FOR MY BEER"

Do you have a bottling bucket?
How big is your batch?

When I bottle condition a 5 gal batch, I don't cool the priming solution all the way down.
What I do is bring 2 cups of water up to a boil.
Add 3/4 cup corn sugar or 2/3 cup table sugar and bring it back up to a boil stirring so that it dissolves.
Once it gets back up to boiling, just let it boil for a couple mins, then take it off the heat and cover it with the cover.
The steam will sanitize the inside of the cover.

Let it sit for 5 or 10 mins. That's all it really needs.
Pour all the solution into the bottom of your empty sanitized bottling bucket. It's ok if its still pretty hot (really).
Get your sanitized siphon hose set up in the bottom of the bucket so that it lies on the bottom and is coiled up just a little so that the beer will flow out parallel to and at the edge of the bucket walls. Essentially, you are setting it up so that the beer will naturally come out in a gentle swirling motion. At this point, you want ZERO oxygen and splashing, just a very gentle flow out of the hose so it has a gentle rotating swirl.
The gentle rotation will guarantee that all the priming sugar gets mixed in and the cool temp of the beer will quickly cool down any heat in the priming solution. Siphon it all into the bottling bucket, then get your bottling hose and wand sanitized, and fill / cap all your bottles.

The extra step of using the bottling bucket is so that you won't transfer any particulate into the bottles, in addition to providing room for all the sugar to dissipate into the beer via the swirling motion. If you don't use the bucket, then you'll have a hard time getting the priming sugar uniformly distributed without disturbing the trub and without introducing a lot of air into the finished beer.

HTH-

Thank you! I was so upset but kept my cool you not throw it out....I just might have to make more sanitizer again I guess or will it be ok? I have it covered but I don't know if it'll be ok?

TIA
desperatehopmantic

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:00 am

I just might have to make more sanitizer again I guess or will it be ok? I have it covered but I don't know if it'll be ok?

If its covered, it will be ok. Just make more priming solution when it comes time to bottle, and don't let anyone throw it away.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:04 am

+1. Stand right by your priming solution as it cools so no one can toss it!

If it were me, I would make another batch of sanitizer up just to be sure. But I am anal. Bdawg gave great advice with his bottling technique and I would be sure to follow that.

Let us know how it goes. This time around will be the charm!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing