2.5 Gallon Kegs?

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:38 am

So I've been thinking about getting a couple of these: http://www.morebeer.com/products/cornel ... allon.html

I've been using the German-made mini-kegs (5 Liters), and I really like them, except for the fact that I still have to prime them. With the corny kegs in that link, does anyone know if they need to be primed, too, or will they handle a proper CO2 hookup for carbonating and dispensing? I'd go with 5 gallon kegs, but I'm limited to about 3 gallons max with my brewing due to my small living-space, which means 2.5 gallons is actually perfect for where I'm at right now.

But I don't want to invest in a kegging system that replaces my current setup unless it turns out to be a better option (tired of the 16 gram CO2 cartridges).

Any thoughts? Knowledge? Wisdom?
GilesTH

Re: 2.5 Gallon Kegs?

Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:40 pm

I have one of the MoreBeer Italian made 2.5 gallon kegs. It's a very high quality, normal functioning corney keg. I use it just like I would any other keg. They have the same gas in and liquid out ball lock fittings.
Sergeant BN Army
cdburg

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:14 am

I have 4 of these. I brew 2.5 gallons in the winter when its too cold outside or if I want to test a recipe out before scaling up to the 10 gal system
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/-2-GALLON-COMPACT-BALL-LOCK-KEG-P3151.aspx
They are cheap (chinese made I'm sure) but I have not had a problem yet. The stainless is thick enough not to dent easily and all the welds seem sound. They also have regular gas in and liquid out ball lock fittings.
On Deck: porter, berliner weisse
Fermenting: xtra pale
In the keg/bottle: golden delicious apple cider, brown rice lager, german pils
EL TIZZO

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:47 am

Cool, thanks!
GilesTH

Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:38 am

So I picked up a couple of the Torpedo Kegs from Morebeer. Totally awesome! Gotta fiddle a bit to get a seal on the lids, but I've had excellent beer poured out of these. https://www.morebeer.com/products/torpe ... -kegs.html And the price is nice, too.
GilesTH

Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:55 pm

Those look pretty cool. Are the lids different from corny lids?
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:28 am

Ozwald wrote:Those look pretty cool. Are the lids different from corny lids?

I think they're pretty much the same (never actually taken a close look at corny lids), but some people have had trouble with how the opening is machined. I can only get a seal with the lid sitting one direction, though the opening looks like it SHOULD work either direction. Not a big deal, just means I have to pay attention when I'm putting everything together. Which I should be doing anyway.
GilesTH

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:57 am

With the lid sealed shut take a sharpie & make a mark across the seam. That way not only do you know your lid is "facing" the right way but also that it's not tweaked to one side or the other slightly. I've had a corny lid leak from being twisted ever-so-slightly to the side.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing