Hoth Box

Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Just finished this bad boy. Pretty stoked! Holds 8 cornies with room to spare. Now all I need is more room to ferment... 8)

"I encompass, and I eclipse..."
J.Brew

Re: Hoth Box

Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:50 pm

How did you determine if there were cooling coils in the locations that you drilled through the box? I know someone that tried that, hit the coils and ruined the freezer (wah wah).
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:55 am

NateBrews wrote:How did you determine if there were cooling coils in the locations that you drilled through the box? I know someone that tried that, hit the coils and ruined the freezer (wah wah).

Exactly why I built a collar on mine. There's some trick online about using flour or cornmeal but it was easier to build the collar and it allowed me to put in 2 additional cornies (7.2 cu ft chest freezer)
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:45 am

I was pretty rudimentary about it and had to be comfortable knowing I was risking creating a very large paper weight! I looked at the schematic to get a rough idea about where the lines were and knew they ran on the interior wall so I plugged it in and felt the lining for the areas that turned cold the quickest. I knew they ran horizontally so I made my best determination of where they were located. I had about 31/2 inches of wall depth to work with so I decided I was safe to poke a hole through the front wall. I used 3/16th bit to make the hole then probed around the insulation for any obstructions. When I found none, I used a 1" hole saw and again punched just through the front wall. After cleaning out the insulation and determining there were no lines in the way, I finished the hole through the interior wall. I followed the same process for the rest of the holes for the shanks and one for our Co2 line. My balls shrunk a bit after I made those holes and didn't want to push my luck with screws so I decided to epoxy a short piece of 2X4 on the interior back wall to mount my manifold. Worked like a charm and it still runs, thank you baby Jesus!
J.Brew

Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:24 pm

J.Brew wrote:I was pretty rudimentary about it and had to be comfortable knowing I was risking creating a very large paper weight! I looked at the schematic to get a rough idea about where the lines were and knew they ran on the interior wall so I plugged it in and felt the lining for the areas that turned cold the quickest. I knew they ran horizontally so I made my best determination of where they were located. I had about 31/2 inches of wall depth to work with so I decided I was safe to poke a hole through the front wall. I used 3/16th bit to make the hole then probed around the insulation for any obstructions. When I found none, I used a 1" hole saw and again punched just through the front wall. After cleaning out the insulation and determining there were no lines in the way, I finished the hole through the interior wall. I followed the same process for the rest of the holes for the shanks and one for our Co2 line. My balls shrunk a bit after I made those holes and didn't want to push my luck with screws so I decided to epoxy a short piece of 2X4 on the interior back wall to mount my manifold. Worked like a charm and it still runs, thank you baby Jesus!

Looks like it worked for you. How old is the freezer?
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:46 am

Brand new. Got it from Sears. Ballsy huh? Danger is my middle name... :wink:
J.Brew

Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:50 pm

Which freezer is that? It looks a lot like the one that I got from sears. It might be useful to know that there are no coils there.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:12 am

It's the Kenmore 12512 15.6 cu. ft. Chest Freezer which happens to be on sale right now for $200 less than I got it for! :evil:
http://www.sears.com/kenmore-16-cu-ft-c ... ockType=G2
I'd be happy to send you measurements if you need them.
J.Brew

Next

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing