secondary fermentation

Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:10 am

I originally decided on secondary fermentation while making my recipe.I wanted to know if its necessary or vital for the beer to change containers while doing so.
I understand a lot of people will re rack just to get clarity in the beer but i am doing so to introduce an additional brett strain and wine soaked oak chips.( i might use grape must)
Do i need to add additional sugars for this additional brett? or does that depend on my gravity and what alc content i prefer.
is adding a new brett pointless?being that i added it in primary?
I also was planing on secondary at 10 days but am now considering keeping it alone for 3-4 weeks this seems to be the limit to ensure i dont undergo autolysis, no way i want rubbery/fatty/meaty flavors/aromas
in addition to this i plan on doing a tertiary with new lacto about 4 months after secondary.
Thank you to anyone who takes the time to comment.
:jnj
grod31

Re: secondary fermentation

Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:45 pm

grod31 wrote:I originally decided on secondary fermentation while making my recipe.I wanted to know if its necessary or vital for the beer to change containers while doing so.
I understand a lot of people will re rack just to get clarity in the beer but i am doing so to introduce an additional brett strain and wine soaked oak chips.( i might use grape must)
Do i need to add additional sugars for this additional brett? or does that depend on my gravity and what alc content i prefer.
is adding a new brett pointless?being that i added it in primary?
I also was planing on secondary at 10 days but am now considering keeping it alone for 3-4 weeks this seems to be the limit to ensure i dont undergo autolysis, no way i want rubbery/fatty/meaty flavors/aromas
in addition to this i plan on doing a tertiary with new lacto about 4 months after secondary.
Thank you to anyone who takes the time to comment.
:jnj

Okay, so let me get a handle on this one.

You brewed a beer with a 100% brett strain in primary.
You now want to rack to secondary to add another brett strain along with some grape must and oak chips.
You also want to add lacto to the beer.

Correct?

Do you have the ability to purge your secondary vessel with CO2 to minimize oxidation?

-If so, rack your beer into your purged secondary on top of your oak chips and add your brett strain. I would also add your lacto at this point too. If it were me, I would add the grape must at this point too to help provide some additional fermentables for your lacto and brett to chew on.

I see no need to add your lacto at a later date as your lacto will take a long time to work and you will want some fermentables in there for your lacto to do their thing. Really no need to worry too much about autolysis with brett because as some brett cells die, lacto and other healthy brett cells will consume any released materials dieing cells produce. Keep in mind, brett is a great oxygen scavenger too.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:41 pm

sorry . i guess im not clear at all. im just getting my thoughts out.
the beer is in primary knocked up with : 3763 Roeselare Ale Blend
(Belgian style ale strain, a sherry strain,2 Brettanomyces strains, Lactobacillus culture, Pediococcus culture)
I am going to add wine soaked oak chips when i re rack (forget the grape must) at this time i had the intension to add an addition brett strain.
i can purge my secondary vessel with CO2 with a few oz of seltzer water.I don't know if this clarified anything.
grod31

Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:37 pm

Okay that makes it even easier for you.

I am assuming your beer is still in primary. I would leave it in primary for about 1 mos (what I do with my Roselare blends), then rack to a secondary. You do not need to add any additional brett/lacto strains as this blend has all you need. I do recommend to pitch the dregs of 2-3 commercial sour beer dregs that you like the flavor of because the Roselare blend is pretty tame IMO.

I would let your beer age in the secondary for at least 6-10 mos prior to adding your soaked oak chips. More like 10 mos as this blend typically takes around 12-18 mos for full acid development. Try not to take too many sample tastes to avoid introducing oxygen which can lead to acetobacter formation providing acetic acid (vinegar-like) flavors/aromas to your final product. While some acetic acid is acceptable in a classic Flanders Red, I still prefer it on the lower end.

As you close in on 12 mos you can start to decide when you want to add your oak chips which will pretty quickly impart their tannins and oakiness to the beer. Maybe leave them in for 2-4 wks and no more so you don't overoak the beer.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:55 pm

nice, thank you. basicly all i have to do is leave this alone .
i will go to secondary one month after pitch.Then 6-10months i will decide how to proceed.
grod31

Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:22 pm

You got it. Your patience will be rewarded.

Be sure to keep a separate set of plastic equipment for your wild beers that is not used for your "normal" brews.
Items like auto-siphon, airlock, stoppers, carboy hoods, wine thief, siphon tubing, etc, should all be kept separate.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:30 pm

i actually don't plan on brewing anything other then sours ever.If i want a stout ill do something like tart of darkness.
i might eventually want to do something like a brett IPA.
my next beer is going to be a gose. I'm sure i can use this same gear for a gose right?I mean i wouldn't mind some brett funk ending up in there.
grod31

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:03 pm

Yep. Any beer having any forms of bacteria (lacto, pedio) and or wild yeast strains (ie brett) can all use the same gear.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing